What is this? Help

ElBicho

Hello everyone! I found this possible fossil? in a Coast in Uruguay (country in South America) - I found it after a drop in the level of the water, he was between a lot of rocks and look so different than the rocks (and I'm 98% sure that  isn't a rock lol) what could it be? The size is 60x40 aprox

Thank you all! And sorry for the bad english btw.

hueso.jpeg

hueso4.jpeg

HUESO2.jpeg

HUESO1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
29 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Whale humerus.

Thanks a lot! I did not expect it to be a whale bone, because here on this coast its presence is very strange in this River! Thank u again!!

How old will it be? what whale is it? I really don't know anything, it's the first bone I see in my life, I don't know what I should do with it either, do I leave it in my garden or give it to a museum? thank u again

Edited by ElBicho

Whales are living species that originated app 30 mya,  I would call your local museum and discuss the fossil with experts.  I don’t like leaving fossils outside in the rain where they can be damaged and would find somewhere it could be protected .  If you do not want it and the museum does not want it I would look to a school or university 

• I found this Informative 3
1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Whale humerus.

good call.  I concur

But it's not funny

1 hour ago, ElBicho said:

Thanks a lot! I did not expect it to be a whale bone, because here on this coast its presence is very strange in this River! Thank u again!!

How old will it be? what whale is it? I really don't know anything, it's the first bone I see in my life, I don't know what I should do with it either, do I leave it in my garden or give it to a museum? thank u again

The details are a bit out of my reach. I could guess around 10 million years, but it's just a guess based on what is commonly found on the east coast of the US.

There is a chance @Boesse may be around. He may know more.

• 1 month later...

@ElBicho I believe that this is a right whale humerus, based on how large the head of the humerus is. If from a Pleistocene deposit it could be Eubalaena australis.