Hollow spike

JMcCarthy

Any idea what this could be? I found it in a creek bed in Central Texas Hill Country. Fossils around here are mostly marine, so I'm thinking coral or fish tooth maybe? The hollow center is closer to one side than the other and appears to have been worn open rather than broken. One end seems to have a ring and the other tapers to a blunt point.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Edited by JMcCarthy
Added a photo

I think it's a worn Belemnite. The area you describe seems to have a lot of mesozoic deposits so this seems extra likely.

• I found this Informative 1

I respectfully disagree this is belemnite.  They are exceptionally rare and typically solid in Central Texas.  

I think a more likely ID is a geologic cast of root formed beside a local spring seeping into the creek; or it is a small scale speleothem, again formed in association with cavities springs create as they percolate into the local creeks.  

Gently cleaning it could show additional information.

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Could we get a close up of the open end pictured in the left most photo? I’m in agreement this is not a belemnite, but something looks spongiform to me in there. I can’t quite tell, but I have also seen something similar to this in certain flow stones and broken cave formations.

Complete amateur here but I am pretty sure this is just a broken, water worn , piece of bone. Probably modern. I find many pieces that look exactly like this in the creeks and rivers that I hunt. If you look closely you can see the teeth marks where the rodents have been chewing on it.

• I found this Informative 1

Modern bone seems a good possibility, for sure.

If the OP wants to perform the burn test, that might confirm it. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I respectfully disagree this is belemnite.  They are exceptionally rare and typically solid in Central Texas. 

I agree with this. Belemnites can be hollow at the base but are solid at the tip. This looks hollow all the way through.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite