What is this?

Staycie07

Found this in St. Clair, Pennsylvania in slate quarry on private property. Each piece is 2.5 inches width by 9 inches length. I love it but don't know anything about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 

20201126_201104.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Alethopteris. A Paleozoic seed fern. Classic preservation known in that area.

Yep. I agree. That's some of my childhood stomping grounds.

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

2 hours ago, Staycie07 said:

St. Clair, Pennsylvania in slate quarry on private property.

Wow! Lucky you!

As far as I am informed through TFF, the main site at St. Clair is closed to collecting since some years? These very pretty fossils are no longer collectible by the random collector.

So, you are a very privileged person. Congrats! Save as much as you can from being destroyed by quarrying operations and weathering.
Franz Bernhard

Thank you so much for the identification. Yes it is closed to collecting. I just thought this was so beautiful and knew how old it could be but not that it was that old! Thank you again for the input. 

Very nice Alethopteris. You are truly lucky to have access.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

17 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Wow! Lucky you!

As far as I am informed through TFF, the main site at St. Clair is closed to collecting since some years? These very pretty fossils are no longer collectible by the random collector.

So, you are a very privileged person. Congrats! Save as much as you can from being destroyed by quarrying operations and weathering.
Franz Bernhard

The public site is long gone, there are a few other, less famous exposures in the area. Sadly, the great aunt I had that owned one of them passed away while I was overseas and I didn’t get a chance to buy the property from the estate.

• I found this Informative 1