ThePhysicist

Hey y'all, found what I think may be a Cretaceous mammal incisor. I was hoping to find some mammal teeth when I got the Aguja matrix, but since I haven't found any before, need more experienced eyes. Could very well be a piece of something else.

It's about 5mm in length. Thanks!

IMG_0759.thumb.jpeg.dca3b2ef550d67fa0be9c0375ddde84c.jpeg

IMG_0760.thumb.jpeg.fb7516a8f691f7f00d99dc531842403a.jpeg

IMG_0763.thumb.jpeg.a875d29a27b6d2cd107fa86449f2a64d.jpeg

IMG_0764.thumb.jpeg.d8827b3464eacaf7d9304496940d7dc6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

The real help in identifying it would be a well-lit and well-focused image of the occlusal end (or what may remain of it if it is broken). That is the most diagnostic view for potential mammal teeth.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Not sure which is the occlusal end on this guy (guessing the left in the last pic), so captured both :headscratch:

IMG_0767.thumb.jpeg.946f854cc77128b5c02fcc3045483387.jpeg

IMG_0768.thumb.jpeg.03673f5e770b62e0d906b4dbaf5f6273.jpeg

(top pic corresponds to left end in last pic of previous post)

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

The rounded end is likely the root end and the flared end is likely the occlusal. That end appears to be broken off as it does not seem to be normal wear. Suspected Cretaceous mammal teeth are well out of my league--perhaps @jpc may have some input?

Cheers.

-Ken

I don't know what this is but it is not a multi incisor.  There are too many things going on in it, such as that little sharp ridge I see on the left end of the last photo (first post).  Multi incisors also have a definite distinction between where there is enamel and where there is no enamel.  This seems to all have the same surface.  I don't know how rare they are in the Aguja compared to the Lance/ Hell Creek, but keep looking.  

Thanks, @jpc, will do!