Petrified or concretion?

SunshineOnACloudyDay

Hey guys I found this in a dried up creek bed right above where a dam had been. The location was in Sandia, Texas. Very close to the mathis lake state park. I've done some research but I' be had it about 4 or five yrs now and would love an opinion from someone that has had experience in this field. I think it's a petrified peach half. What do y'all think?

IMG_20201217_144759.jpg

I can see why you think it resembles a petrified peach but the soft fruit would not fossilized. It is interesting though. I probably would have picked it up for further inspection myself.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Maybe it's a chert nodule?

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yeah, it looks delicious but I have to agree. Even if by some miracle a piece of fruit were to be preserved, maybe mummified, first it would have to completely dehydrate and shrivel up like a prune. Then it would have to be quickly covered in sediment and completely deprived of moisture and oxygen to keep from being decomposed by microbes. Seeds can be preserved, even leaves under the right conditions like rapid burial but fruit, not so much. Keep looking. There may not be a lot of fossils around Sandia considering the local geology. Going far enough west into the Cretaceous period strata of central Texas or some places on the coast are more likely good. I'm lucky to live in north-central Texas, here we're drowning in fossils ;)

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply I just wanted to thank every body for their opinions and thoughts. So Thanks guys!!! Oh yeah and add a couple more pics of the other side.

Sunshine™

16138831792701826461885838583110.jpg

Edited by Kane
Grammar (there/their)