locutus9

These are two fossils of the same species collected at the Long Pond Road Site along the Erie Canal in Greece, New York. They are from the middle Silurian Rochester shale. These were collected last winter, and I have since been unable to identify them. Both are no greater than 3cm in length. Some interesting fine detail is visible on the first specimen. The American dime is 1.8cm in diameter.

thing2.thumb.JPG.dfa657a587f02e80ec99477e4127f76e.JPGthing2b.thumb.JPG.49b1f153411e47168ee1bfdb46d53d53.JPGthing1b.thumb.JPG.8e8c73b304f935b7a9b4a946689e4b1f.JPGthing1.thumb.JPG.35064ec8b58bd6cbcfc32612261b000e.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Orbiculopedia sp. 

For comparison, an example from Caleb's Quarry, courtesy of Primitive Worlds:

839266.jpg?162

The brachiopod underneath in the first image is likely a Leptaena sp.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, Ken K said:

The circular specimen looks quite like the Bryozoan, Lichenalia concentrica, Hall...or close to this.

A very distinct possibility! They seem to be very similar in appearance. I trust your judgement more than my own given your long and dedicated work in similarly situated strata.

• I found this Informative 1

looks like an inarticulate brachiopod

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

56 minutes ago, Herb said:

looks like an inarticulate brachiopod

It does, but it is also a dead ringer for the bryozoan Lichenalia. I'm curious to know how you would arrive at this being a brach as opposed to the bryozoan suggestion offered by Ken K. 

could be

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Try taking a photo showing a side view which would show the pores if the bryozoan. The one photo does look like a brach but the photo of the eroded edge would tell much. Packy