Homemade display case

Fossilis Willis

I wanted to share with you all the display case I made for my dad as a Christmas gift. Over the last few years I've gifted him quite a few fossils, and he was in need of a decent place to display them. It is constructed almost entirely from materials salvaged from various demo projects around my house. The door, including latch and handle, were one of the original windows in the living room of my 100+ year old house. The rest of the wood came from some sub-flooring I replaced. The hinges are the only thing I bought. The thing that makes It especially cool is that my old house was my grandmother's home, and the house my old man grew up in. It doesn't really get much more ''homemade'' than that. It's a little rustic, but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. 

20201219_123206.jpg

20201219_123352.jpg

20201219_123445.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

Well done, sir!

:tiphat:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

WOW! 

Good job, that's quite beautiful. :b_love1:

What with its history, it should make your father very happy this Christmas. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done, sir!

:tiphat:

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

WOW! 

Good job, that's quite beautiful. :b_love1:

What with its history, it should make your father very happy this Christmas. 

I think he's going to enjoy it. After 40 years as a cabinet maker, I know he could do way better. But I think appreciate the thought and work that I put into it.

That looks fantastic! You did a real great job with that. I am sure that this is a gift that your father will appreciate.:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

An awesome gift with great history and sentiment. Well done! It looks great. :thumbsu:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

That looks AMAZING!!!  Your dad's a very lucky fellow to be receiving such a beautiful and heatfelt gift :Smiling:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I can only hope it so well received by Fossilis Billis(my dad). I'm pretty excited to give it to him. In hind sight, I wish I taken pictures before and during construction. Here are a couple of pictures of similar materials to give you an idea of how it looked when I started.

20201207_122047.jpg

20201207_122111.jpg

20201207_122126.jpg

Give yourself a pat on the back. You've created a comfortable, well-made home for your dad's fossil collection, already packed with fond memories. It will bring a smile to your dad's face. 

:dinothumb:

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 6:10 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

Just saw this, and I have to say you’ve done a great job!  Congratulations!

Thank you @Sagebrush Steve. I had a lot of fun making it, and my dad really got a kick out of it. Unfortunately because of covid we haven't had many in person get togethers, so I have yet to see it in action. As soon as I am able, I will post a picture of it loaded with fossils. 

• Enjoyed 1

That's an amazing cabinet! Your dad's gonna put it to good use I am sure

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I missed this before now... Very nice! It's great to be able to repurpose old materials from your house. I wish I could have salvaged some of the wood/etc. from the house I grew up in before the Fire Dept burned it down. There was some nice wood in the stairs up to the attic, for instance. It was already more than 100 years old when we moved out in 2008.