Mississipian ID

EPawsF15

This specimen was taken from a Mississippian deposit in Jefferson county, Missouri.  All of the other items I found were easily identifiable, but I have no idea what this is.  The "skirt" is interesting.  I'm not sure if the material behind the skirt is solid, or if it is just a fragile membrane.  I didn't post a photo of the bottom because it is just dirt/rock.

Upload2a.jpg

Upload3a.jpg

Upload4a.jpg

Upload1a.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.  :) 

This looks like a Crinoid calyx/cup.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree it is a crinoid calyx.  The photos have the calyx upside down.  You can see where the stem attached at the base of the calyx, and the "skirt" is the calyx flaring out up to where the arms would have attached.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Well for crinoid out loud, I would not have guessed that, nor the upside down orientation.  Thank you very much for your help.

Presumably this is from the Fern Glen site based on the matrix. Synbathocrinus dentatus would be my guess.

The following is a link to Kinderhook Faunal Studies V- Fauna of the Fern Glen Formation by Stuart Weller. I used this to identify most of my Fern Glen specimens and your crinoid.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiCsZ-Ty9vtAhVKCM0KHUEyDBYQFjABegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fzenodo.org%2Frecord%2F2027197%2Ffiles%2Farticle.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Zy9gOo0hwsx6qnlKDnuwG

• I found this Informative 2

I think you nailed it, minnbuckeye.  I don't fully understand copyright rules (so I'm not posting any images), but alamy.com has some great images of what this platycrinus beast probably looked like before he passed away.  I should dig the fossil out a little more to see if there are any indications of where the arms branched out.