Mag

Hi, 

I found this stone in...a charity shop. I really love it but I’m not sure what type of stone it is and the only one I can connect it to would be stromatolite. It has more unusual pattern though.

Please could someone help me with identification.

It has a clear quartz (I think) in the middle, it should be visible on the photo.

Thanks 

1A2FC31A-9D5F-4573-865F-11BA0DFD9A64.jpeg

88828381-BF69-435A-B300-65FE60D091C2.jpeg

D1653812-CE78-4BC3-B1C5-569EACA85828.jpeg

Welcome to the forum.

It's a coiled cephalopod of some sort, quite likely a Moroccan goniatite which are reshaped by grinding and sold polished in large numbers.  

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

This reminds me somewhat of some Moroccan goniatites. You can see a whorl (like a gastropod) and some partial septa near the white infill.

The with infill is most probably calcite. This occurs quite often that fossil shells, especially gastropods and cephalopods, are not completely filled by sediment.

Ha, @TqB beat me by a second :BigSmile:.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 3

Agreed.

Reminiscent of some of the colours of those from the Devonian of the Erfoud area. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thank you. I’m not going to pretend I know the names, I googled them and I can see the resemblance. Mine is not as obvious and pretty as the rest of them but I like it anyway! Among my collection of crystals it’s  my favourite bit, surprisingly or not ;-)

Many thanks for quick replies. I used to like fossils as a child, I might be back to it after seeing all these exciting photos on the forum.

Thanks,

Mag

Goniatite is the first thing I saw as well.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!