The Pinna Layer of Central New Jersey (USA)

frankh8147

Hello all!

For those not familiar with the Pinna Layer, it is a very small layer representing a very short period of time (weeks to years) after the meteor impact that caused the great extinction of the Cretaceous period. A very thin layer at the bottom of it actually tests positive for Iridium.

Last Summer, I was invited to finish off the last remaining outcrops and along with a very small group of other fossil hunters (including other members here), we finished off the last accessible layer - a project which ended just a few weeks ago. It was a group effort and due to the importance of this layer, all of the important finds were donated to MAPS (New Jersey) for future research. That said, it was a complete 'win-win' as we were able to keep a lot of great fossils!

In the near future, you will be able to see the donated fossils in 3-D so I figured I would save that for later and show the fossils that now reside in my personal collection.

I'll start with my favorites - a Discoscaphites (probable Jerseyensis) I found right on the Iridium layer, and a Discoscaphites Iris cluster. Both prepped by my friend Ralph Johnson.

pinna jersey2.jpg

pinna jerseyensis.jpg

Pinna1.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

I also made sure to take a good amount of that really thin layer that tests for Iridium so it can be tested again in the future (if ever necessary).

pinna layer.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

This is an amazing collection, Frank!

Congratulations on these tremendous finds!

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice collection! It must have been exciting to collect in that layer. A geological snapshot of a famous moment in time.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Very cool to be able to dig in the Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) boundary and pick up some of the last ammonites. Neither ammonites with belemnites made it through the extinction event with only nautiloids (and the shell-less octopus, squid and cuttlefish) to carry on the cephalopods. I seem to recall an interesting illustrative display in the paleontology section of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. I recall it graphically showed the pinch-out of the diversity of life forms on either side of the events indicating what few made it through the events.

Cheers.

-Ken

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very interesting to see the few ammonites that survived the impact, although they all disappeared soon afterwards, didn't they?

56 minutes ago, digit said:

Very cool to be able to dig in the Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) boundary and pick up some of the last ammonites. Neither ammonites with belemnites made it through the extinction event with only nautiloids (and the shell-less octopus, squid and cuttlefish) to carry on the cephalopods. I seem to recall an interesting illustrative display in the paleontology section of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. I recall it graphically showed the pinch-out of the diversity of life forms on either side of the events indicating what few made it through the events.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks everyone!

Yes, this was the end of Ammonites and Eubaculites. It was very exciting for me to be involved in a project like this!

Now as to how long they survived, that's debated by people much better than me with Stratigraphy. Estimates range from a few weeks to a few hundred years. I personally don't have an opinion on that one! It's definitely a very short period of time though.

11 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

It's definitely a very short period of time though.

Geologically speaking. ;)

Any photos taken at the site? Would be nice to get a feel for where it was you were digging.

Cheers.

-Ken

Are fossils that have iridium on them dangerous?  I noticed that the fossils you posted had a yellow cast to them and I have a couple of fossils with yellow on them. I’m being paranoid but I looked iridium up and the scientific language was way beyond my comprehension.  

Nope. Not a radioactive material just an element that is not very common at all in the Earth's crust. Early on in the Earth's formation while everything was still quite molten the iridium that was present tended to bond with iron and sink well below the crustal layer. Because of its natural scarcity but relative abundance in meteorites it makes an important signal of an extraterrestrial impact.

Now, yellowcake uranium is entirely a different matter. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowcake

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

What a unique experience and some incredible finds! If you were able to keep those, I am excited to see what made it to MAPS!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Wow Frank! You really collected some excellent specimens there. I especially love the  Discoscaphites, but that pinna clam and the echinoid are also truly marvelous. It was a pleasure to be there with you and Ralph on a couple of those occasions. I am in the process of creating my own display of Pinna Layer specimens. 

P.S.- The locations of these KT boundary sites in Central New Jersey are a carefully guarded secret. It was a special privilege to be allowed to collect there.

• I found this Informative 2

28 minutes ago, historianmichael said:

What a unique experience and some incredible finds! If you were able to keep those, I am excited to see what made it to MAPS!

Here's a photo of some of the Pinna Layer specimens in the MAPS collection.

IMG_1636.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

Here's a photo of some of the Pinna Layer specimens in the MAPS collection.

IMG_1636.JPG

Thank you for sharing! Those are absolutely incredible. Some of those baculites and ammonites are huge!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very interesting to see the few ammonites that survived the impact, although they all disappeared soon afterwards, didn't they?

I just read the paper published on Pinna layer of New Jersey https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app57/app20110068.pdf  

It seems some species may have been survived decades or even longer after the extinction event.  

7 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

For those not familiar with the Pinna Layer, it is a very small layer representing a very short period of time (weeks to years) after the meteor impact that caused the great extinction of the Cretaceous period. A very thin layer at the bottom of it actually tests positive for Iridium.

I think it is unfortunate that the iridium anomaly was used as a marker for the end of the Cretaceous instead of using index fossils. There is some evidence that the iridium can migrate in the strat section. There are some sites in NJ where the iridium occurs below the tektites and shocked minerals while in Texas the iridium can be many feet above the tektite layer. I can imagine a scenario where a Paleocene ammonite born in New Jersey can have offspring that swim to Texas and die in the Cretaceous.

791F8504-39D9-42C0-87C8-36FF6DB1677C.jpeg

087B1C7B-3D30-4B9F-9904-D4C3C8556526.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Wow Frank! You really collected some excellent specimens there. I especially love the  Discoscaphites, but that pinna clam and the echinoid are also truly marvelous. It was a pleasure to be there with you and Ralph on a couple of those occasions. I am in the process of creating my own display of Pinna Layer specimens. 

P.S.- The locations of these KT boundary sites in Central New Jersey are a carefully guarded secret. It was a special privilege to be allowed to collect there.

Good times!

We have some good trips coming up too!

20 hours ago, digit said:

Geologically speaking. ;)

Any photos taken at the site? Would be nice to get a feel for where it was you were digging.

Cheers.

-Ken

Im not sure. Honestly, I never bring my phone or camera with me on a dig, it's just my time to 'get away' but I'll see if anyone took any.