Great White Tooth off the Beach!

Bob-ay

So I found my first tooth on the beach two days ago... I went back to the general area today after rain and tide went out and found a almost 2” Great White tooth! Thinking this was dredged sand that was pushed around with the past nor’easter! Never find teeth here! Can anyone put an age on it, found other small teeth as well...

7B15A33B-E96D-4D3E-BC2D-2CABC93202BA.thumb.jpeg.09ff7cc2b0132cfc82c6f0a595c76f3a.jpeg89C354D5-DAAF-4C7E-96A7-9BB2D0880DA1.thumb.jpeg.82fed86311be90983dd4412dd24f8a98.jpegCED954D7-97B0-4A0F-8C60-4BF760A41345.thumb.jpeg.b6c7426c597f96b0d7675d5381658e26.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Went back this morning to see if last nights tide unearthed anything... Couldn’t believe what I saw,  a second GW smaller but same exact spot I found the first yesterday! 

289B24DE-D4DA-4932-8E5B-284520B47D8E.thumb.jpeg.d832bf32cc381e519185bc9d7096e4ca.jpeg3828DF29-1E85-46D4-887F-239EA4A55E9E.thumb.jpeg.516f7c3cb5e1a1dc5c0b797d94bd0060.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Methinks you have a pretty good spot! 

Don

Same here.. was not expecting that this morning! This area has heavy beach replenishment the last few years. With that decent nor'eater few days ago we had heavy wind and surf. Moved a lot of and around. Thinking this worked its way out of that dredged material..

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, bedfordrn said:

Just curious where in New Jersey did you find these? Very cool!

Not going to give up the exact location but the Jersey Shore.. I am in Ocean County, NJ to give you a general location. 

On 12/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, Bob-ay said:

So I found my first tooth on the beach two days ago... I went back to the general area today after rain and tide went out and found a almost 2” Great White tooth! Thinking this was dredged sand that was pushed around with the past nor’easter! Never find teeth here! Can anyone put an age on it, found other small teeth as well...

Pretty nice tooth,  reminds me a little of this Meg I found last week... 2plus inches , no root.

So, the Megalodon existed 23 to 2 mya (give or take a MYA), and the GWs were somewhat smaller, but these 2 may have co_existed for a short time).  So, when someone asks the age of a GW, I usually say... sometime in the last 1-2 MYAs. As long as it is fossilized, which yours is, your can not tell is it is 20000 years or 2 MYA.  Might as well go for the bigger number ..:thumbsu:

BrokenMeg.JPG.525e1c69fe9ec79eb54e728dfee21b64.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Fair enough. :Wink1: I wasn't expecting the exact location, just curious. I’m from Monmouth county. 5 minutes from the beach. Always looking, never found anything like that in any type of season. Thanks.

23 hours ago, bedfordrn said:

Fair enough. :Wink1: I wasn't expecting the exact location, just curious. I’m from Monmouth county. 5 minutes from the beach. Always looking, never found anything like that in any type of season. Thanks.

I do a lot of creek walks in MO county... I find teeth from Sandy Hook to Barnegat inlet.. Its hit or miss and they are usually smaller teeth in shell piles... These two are my biggest beach finds both came after a decent nor' easter. Both in an area that has had beach replenishment in recent years. thinking that's where they came from...

• I found this Informative 2

On 3/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, Shellseeker said:

Pretty nice tooth,  reminds me a little of this Meg I found last week... 2plus inches , no root.

So, the Megalodon existed 23 to 2 mya (give or take a MYA), and the GWs were somewhat smaller, but these 2 may have co_existed for a short time).  So, when someone asks the age of a GW, I usually say... sometime in the last 1-2 MYAs. As long as it is fossilized, which yours is, your can not tell is it is 20000 years or 2 MYA.  Might as well go for the bigger number ..:thumbsu:

BrokenMeg.JPG.525e1c69fe9ec79eb54e728dfee21b64.JPG

Curious what general area this was found compared to mine. PM me if you like.. Not looking for exact spot. 

3 minutes ago, Bob-ay said:

Curious what general area this was found compared to mine. PM me if you like.. Not looking for exact spot. 

I discussed Megs and the Peace River in this thread.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/102992-knowledge-about-summerville-sc-fossils/

I have been on this forum for more than ten years. Numerous TFF members know that I hunt Bone Valley Florida,  some land sites but mostly the Peace River and it's tributary creeks from Arcadia to Fort Meade, which is about 40 miles, as the crow flies. Over a 15 year hobby, I have set foot on every river/creek bottom spot on the following map of well known Peace River Access points.  It has been (and continues to be) a fantastic ride!!!!!:thumbsu:

screen-shot-2018-01-08-at-10-22-28-am.png.97b1531c7d9d62a1be3f8a2cbb43bbcc.png

• Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Bob-ay said:

I do a lot of creek walks in MO county... I find teeth from Sandy Hook to Barnegat inlet.. Its hit or miss and they are usually smaller teeth in shell piles... These two are my biggest beach finds both came after a decent nor' easter. Both in an area that has had beach replenishment in recent years. thinking that's where they came from...

Well, Bob

This rings true. When you read this thread (and the one I referenced), think about the fact that it has been 15 years!!!!.  I tend to "accentuate the positive,  eliminate the negative" just like the Bing Crosby song in Jungle Book.  I do not report all those times, I went prospecting off the grid, 3-4 miles from nearest human habitation, walking up creek beds that were full of sharp rocks that would catch your ankles, sugar sand that would suck you down halfway up your calf,  encounters with 3000 lb steers, and wild hogs, to say nothing of mosquitos , leaches, gators.  and basically found nothing except a few small shark teeth.

It is not all gold and glory, which is what makes finding one of these large, high quality Megalodons so special.  I once took a neighbor, who had been pressing me over and over to go with me on one of my adventures. It did not turn out that well, and even though he look fit,  he was pretty wiped out by the physical requirements, and not all that pleased by the few fossil finds we made. I think he felt I oversold the finds, and undersold the difficulties. I did not write that trip up for TFF.  Live and learn.