grg1109

I found this Gastropod in the same rock as the topic ("no idea what so ever").  Tully Limestone, Cortland Cnty., Central New York, Middle Devonian.  This one is a bit different.  I think the id is: Platyceras carinatum(from the "Field Guide to Devonian Fossils" page174-175).  Am I close?  Approx. 29mm or 1 1/8" long X 13mm or 9/16" wide.

Thanks

Greg

20201222_185125.jpg

20201222_185155.jpg

20201222_185201.jpg

20201222_185206.jpg

It definitely looks like a Platyceras. I don't have experience with the Tully so I can't assign a specific ID but you're definitely close, maybe spot-on. Maybe someone else will know how many other, if any, Platyceras are reported from there and their differences.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks.  And then there is that object on the side with the blue arrow.

Greg

20201222_185206_LI.jpg

I think it's a small Brachiopod now

20201223_122944.jpg

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Gastropod

I agree that's Platyceras, but not carinatum since according to the guidebook that species is restricted to the Onondaga Formation. The profile also looks off though I do see some similarities to carinatum. I looked through my own sources and wasn't able to produce a certain match.  A cool and very interesting looking specimen. Congratulations on finding it. 

• I found this Informative 2

Am I correct in assuming that(in the PDF "Devonian Paleontology") that the larger the illustration...the larger the fossil?  And would that also be the same for (in Gastropods) that the larger the opening in the illustration...the larger the opening in the fossil?

This Gastropod has strong ridges on the sides and lesser pronounced ridges between them, the central ridge is the broadest becoming more pronounced at the curve of the tip...there are 4 ridges that I can see, but if it is symmetrical there should be 5.  The "sepiae"(?) changes direction from the ridges and "grooves". 

Cleaned up a bit more

Greg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Could it be...Platyceras rarispinum...I did not find it in the "books" that I have...but, doing a search on this site.  Perhaps I destroyed the upper whorls. The main body looks similar except for the bumps...but, I'm not sure if they are part of the fossil or some other thing that attached itself to the Gastropod.

Greg

gallery_1845_1033_397161.jpg