Found this in Toronto. Can you please identify it?

wintrbird89

Welcome from west of you on the 401.

It *could* be a tiny fragment of coral(?). The problem with gravel is that it could come from anywhere in Ontario, which means it could be from Ordovician, Silurian, or Devonian material. It looks like limestone, and not likely similar to the local Ordovician material of the Georgian Bay Formation.

For our non-Canadian members, the coin measures 18.03 mm in diameter. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 minutes ago, val horn said:

It looks like a simple piece of ray dental plate 

That would not appear in Ontario. Our deposits are predominantly Ordovician, Silurian, and Devonian in age (with the exception of very few Pleistocene deposits, such as the Leda clay in Ottawa). 

10 minutes ago, Scylla said:

Canadian dime. The other one looks like a fossil but I can't tell which kind. Maybe with more angles?

03754B16-1523-4947-8E95-8D6248A9F016.jpeg

CD5159FB-3385-4FFB-A307-CFEE3444D659.jpeg

I'm getting more of a coral vibe here. Keep checking the gravel, there are probably more to find.

Edit: lol Kane we switched places!

• I found this Informative 1

Crinoid columnal seems to be more the guess here with these photos (although coral cannot be entirely ruled out). The regularity of the ribbing seems to more strongly suggest crinoid stem in this case, as was suggested by @Scylla

EDIT: He and I are seemingly swapping places! :D But at this point, the piece is so fragmentary it might be either. 

4 minutes ago, Scylla said:

I'm getting more of a coral vibe here. Keep checking the gravel, there are probably more to find.

Edit: lol Kane we switched places!

I actually found another one in that gravel which looks like a cross section of a crinoid stem but I’m not sure. It’s very vague

A9B68819-BCAF-4F07-B66C-5DF3FF6096EB.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Crinoid columnal seems to be more the guess here with these photos (although coral cannot be entirely ruled out). The regularity of the ribbing seems to more strongly suggest crinoid stem in this case, as was suggested by @Scylla

EDIT: He and I are seemingly swapping places! :D But at this point, the piece is so fragmentary it might be either. 

Agreed. The newer picture showing the end did not look to me like it was cylindrical like most crinoids. That's why I defaulted back to coral. But it doesn't look like a favosites or a horn coral, so what else lived in your Canadian seas?

7 hours ago, wintrbird89 said:

I actually found another one in that gravel which looks like a cross section of a crinoid stem but I’m not sure. It’s very vague

A9B68819-BCAF-4F07-B66C-5DF3FF6096EB.jpeg

Yes I think that is a crinoid cross section near the middle.

6 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thank you! Either way it looks so cool! Can you check this one too? Is it a fossil?

431E6247-265C-4661-BD66-AEC7F374CCF4.png

3 minutes ago, Scylla said:

so what else lived in your Canadian seas?

We shared the same sea for quite some time! :D 

7 hours ago, wintrbird89 said:

Thank you! Either way it looks so cool! Can you check this one too? Is it a fossil?

431E6247-265C-4661-BD66-AEC7F374CCF4.png

Too fragmentary to tell. 
For future reference, you may want to use a ruler or tape measure as Canadian coins are not universal. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

Too fragmentary to tell. 
For future reference, you may want to use a ruler or tape measure as Canadian coins are not universal. ;) 

What about this one?

4B1BFED8-40FB-4A11-9C07-22B187CA7F97.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Possibly differential weathering.

Please note the ruler or tape measure request.

Ok thank you! I will take photos with a ruler next time

7 hours ago, Kane said:

We shared the same sea for quite some time! :D 

Yes, and at the rate things are going, we will again:P

Wow... a Canadian dime! Quite rare where I'm from!:P

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

6 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Wow... a Canadian dime! Quite rare where I'm from!:P

:D I'm sure some people used to sneak them into rolls of US dimes to take advantage of the difference between our respective dollars. :P 

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

:D I'm sure some people used to sneak them into rolls of US dimes to take advantage of the difference between our respective dollars. :P 

I’ve gotten so many Canadian pennies, it’s like a little surprise every time

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

2 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

I’ve gotten so many Canadian pennies, it’s like a little surprise every time

So that's where they all went! (We discontinued the penny in 2012). 

But back to the topic at hand, @wintrbird89, do you have access to larger rocks than just gravel? You would probably have a lot more luck with larger rock, and it would be more diagnostic to determine age.