Show us your fossil Christmas presents!

Notidanodon

Hi guys, I thought it would be an interesting idea to show everyone your fossil Christmas presents:) it doesn’t have to be stunning or even your favourite, show as many as you like! I’m sure everyone wants to see them on this day of giving, anyway, merry Christmas to you all and I’ll post some of mine later in the day:)

• I found this Informative 4

19 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I thought it would be an interesting idea to show everyone your fossil Christmas presents

Indeed it is! Thanks!

I have three this year:

- "The Knightia before Christmas" from the 40th rolling contest of @Pagurus. Not arrived yet.

- Then there is the parcel with rudists from @marguy, which I declared as "Christmas present" about two months ago. Still not opened!

- And I made myself also a Christmas present or two: Purchased a tile saw at 12/22/2020, cut a good-sized Trochactaeon from Kainach and hand ground and hand polished it yesterday:

AN_Trochacataeon_AN4458_kompr.thumb.jpg.3fc5218e147d5be12a611d95ffff49aa.jpg

Not so bad at all.

Maybe I will post something about the tile saw later. Have to modify it a little bit, but otherwise it is cutting very good, has a good blade and a strong motor.

Merry Christmas!
Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 9

As we await some family members to arrive, it is not yet the time for gifting frenzy. But this item had to be retrieved from a neighbour's house where it has been secretly stashed from my keen eyes for some time. 

Given that I have long since run out of display room in our modest-sized abode, as trilobites now extend their crawling regime on bookshelves, lamp stands, and end tables, this was very much needed. A delightful antique from the days of the Bombay Company, nicely restored to its more initial state, and soon to safely house the most delicate and precious of trilobite treasures. 

IMG_8847.jpg

• I found this Informative 18

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

22 minutes ago, PODIGGER said:

Nice work!  Looks like a cinnamon bun - perfect for Christmas morning.

I forgot to get Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, it has been a Christmas morning tradition for more years than I can remember.

Kane ... You were definitely in need of additional (and suitable) display cabinetry for your finer trilobites. Lying around on every available flat surface was just not cutting it... We were going to have to come in for a trilobite intervention if you did not get it un der control!!!!!!

We continued our tradition of the last 30 plus years Pillsbury Apple turnovers

• I found this Informative 2

Nothing here except some dollars, so may go to the local rock and fossil store. That makes me hungry for the chocolate ice cream cake rolls. 

Stegosaurus tooth
Stegosaurus sp.
155 - 150 mya | late Jurassic
Morrison Formation
Kaycee, Wyoming

Stegosaurus_1.thumb.jpg.1f2bb0acabe04e9d67e17f9bf9f731fb.jpg

Been after one for a very long time

• I found this Informative 15

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I got one fossil and one related one. The fossil related one is this caliper which I’ve wanted/needed for months. The fossil was this incredible, Jaguar canine from Florida! I can’t wait to get it in person!!!

B711544A-2F6C-4ABC-A9A0-7AACC600562B.jpeg

D5214EC0-47ED-48DC-AF09-5B0DEF835C84.jpeg

6CAEB65B-1DA9-42BA-A083-071E325C556F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

My wife and I decided to not get each other a large (and usually expensive) present this year. Opting instead to spend more on the kids. However, we did get each other a small stocking stuffer gift. Here was mine; even though it is too big to fit in a stocking. Not a fossil, but fossil related. 

Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Life: The definitive visual guide to prehistoric animals. A Smithsonian volume published by DK books.

“DINOSAURS” is written in large print on the cover, but thankfully (as dinosaurs are not my focus) they make up a small percentage of what can be found within the pages. A marketing ploy I suspect.

The book covers everything from the formation of the earth to every time period after, climate change, evolution, how fossils are created, and much more. There is a section for each period describing what the world was like then, giving a timeline of important events, as well as a section on invertebrates and vertebrates examples found. It’s a nice reference book with a wealth of general information. Not a bad book to cozy up with while the kids run amuck on this cold day. 

The wife done good! :D 

CB146CB8-20F1-48DF-A479-04219D6F20B2.jpeg.eaa5c2d9dbabc8f2cb746d4406904a0e.jpeg

4BCDFB6A-1CBD-452E-B26F-E1701E10851B.jpeg.95f4b5096196fc6efdd629e0317353e8.jpeg

9F93329C-C78E-4D5A-B334-C90069E186E9.jpeg.85d1f4caeb401de461b9da78a0322b85.jpeg

A285E603-C24B-40C2-99E1-32BB08CC18AF.jpeg.1013524241913f73e8b366735af17c6c.jpeg

A4F427D7-28F1-4517-BF57-6845BD8DFE04.jpeg.e031c57b194708f9400c0a390265d612.jpeg

46E92259-B03C-4B14-A1A3-5663C4D0E6EC.jpeg.cb39002fa1bcad4b1b322d9d07fda2d0.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I forgot to get Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, it has been a Christmas morning tradition for more years than I can remember.

It is probably a little late, but in lieu of the whip cinnamon rolls, if you have what biscuits, you can cut the dough in fourths and dip in melted butter and roll in cinnamon and sugar then put in a pan. Pour remaining butter and cinnamon/sugar mix on top and bake. Pretty good substitute. Or make homemade biscuit dough, roll out flat and slather butter add sugar and cinnamon roll and slice then cook. 

• I found this Informative 1

Totally spoiled this year. 
Somewhat apropos in light of Gerard Case’s very recent and tragic passing:

D695F0DA-1BE3-4AF8-BF29-CECA4104CF1B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 10

Field-ready for next season! I go through a pair of work boots every year. Gloves (nitrile and standard work gloves). A new tactical field pack for multi-day trips, and a day trip field bag!

45575110-E0AB-44F1-A10E-2AEDB1FFD47F.jpeg

1AD2C746-CB72-49AD-BBED-B020B53345C8.jpeg

7605FAD5-F295-4214-8F52-CCCD9A65BC84.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

Fashion in the field. What is better than drawing trilobites? Having them on two t-shirts and a hoodie. Taking better photos of finds? Light box and tripod.

D4D4CD2B-A0DB-4DD3-BB9C-4BA8FA4B1CD7.jpeg

B8CC0877-06B8-4273-9468-8FB6DA701AF3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

3 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Someone (I bet I know who) totally spoiled you

You’d be right! She definitely wants me to be ready for more trips next year!

7 minutes ago, Kane said:

You’d be right! She definitely wants me to be ready for more trips next year!

I wonder... is she being considerate by buying gifts for your obsession, or is it all a ruse to get rid of you more next year?  :zzzzscratchchin:

Only kidding! Wonderful gifts Kane. I hope you spoiled her as much as she spoiled you. You already know this... but I think she is a keeper! ;):D 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Just now, FossilNerd said:

I wonder... is she being considerate by buying gifts for your obsession, or is it all a ruse to get rid of you more next year?  :zzzzscratchchin:

Only kidding! Wonderful gifts Kane. I hope you spoiled her as much as she spoiled you. You already know this... but I think she is a keeper! ;):D 

She definitely is. :wub: Not many spouses will feed and shelter our stinky selves after a week in the field. Nothing like a home cooked meal and a few cases of cold beer after too many days eating "road cuisine" :D Of course, we are not allowed back until we find complete specimens :P  It is definitely a mutual spoiling. :) 

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

"The Knightia before Christmas" from the 40th rolling contest of @Pagurus. Not arrived yet.

I hope it arrives soon, Franz. It's not quite 3 weeks yet, so I expect it's still on it's way. First class mail is slower than it used to be. I had hoped, though, that the Knightia painting and fossil would arrive before Christmas. 'Twas the Knightia before Christmas and all though the house....

Merry Christmas!

• I found this Informative 2

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

4 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

First class mail is slower than it used to be.

No problem, it takes usually about 4 weeks from Europe to the US with ordinary mail. Don´t know how long some express service would take.

What we have to consider is the C-thing. This has slowed down many things or makes them impossible. For example, during spring time, it was not possible to send something to Canada for several months. At the moment, postal connection to the UK is closed. 

We will see, I am usually not the most impatient person ;).

Franz Bernhard

Just now, FranzBernhard said:

No problem, it takes usually about 4 weeks from Europe to the US with ordinary mail. Don´t know how long some express service would take.

What we have to consider is the C-thing. This has slowed down many things or makes them impossible. For example, during spring time, it was not possible to send something to Canada for several months. At the moment, postal connection to the UK is closed. 

We will see, I am usually not the most impatient person ;).

Franz Bernhard

I had a package that took 45 days, but apart from the challenges of the holiday season, I know our customs system places packages from certain countries on lower priority. :( 

I too was the recipient of research and educational material.  Dr Richard Hulbert's, The Fossil Vertebrates of Florida.  This should help with my ability to identify my discoveries.

thumbnail.jpeg.f41cdad14ece6d3ec9d9ec87951d85c4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7