Miocene, Eocene, Paleocene -- some cool Maryland finds!

HemiHunter

Merry Christmas to everybody!  I am just catching up posting some cool finds from a few short trips I've made recently in Maryland--going back through time--Miocene, Eocene, Paleocene. (In the interest of time, I'm only posting the highlights, not everything I found, and not all of what my kids found.)

Miocene-- After some heavy rains I snuck out early on a Friday for a quick solo trip to the Calvert Cliffs. Conditions were actually not great, as the water was still a little muddy and the waves were pretty rough due to blustery winds.  After a couple of hours I was not finding much and getting ready to head out (dejected) to warm up with a hot cup of coffee.  But just then the fossil gods took pity on me and uncovered this awesome mako.  At just over 2", it's in perfect shape and my personal best!  I took a quick video collecting it to share with my kids here: https://youtu.be/SItWtdYw7SQ

Screenshot_20201225.jpg

20201225_120329.jpg

20201225_120425.jpg

20201218_125523.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Eocene-- Inspired by my big find, my daughter and I set out a couple days later for an Eocene trip on the Potomac, taking advantage of a favorable tide and warmer weather. Conditions were ideal, with very clear water, a nice falling tide and modest waves, but we were only finding a few teeth here and there.  The funny thing is that they were almost all otodus--which is the opposite of normal.  We found a few dozen in the end, so these are just my nicer ones. (Top row #3 is pristine!) I took the in situ shot of the biggest otodus in a foot of water just to show how nice the water was. I don't think we missed much with these conditions--the giants just weren't there.  This was about 3 hours searching altogether.

20201224_143816.jpg

20201224_220531.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Paleocene-- Finally, despite cold conditions and overcast, my middle son and I headed out to catch the late afternoon low tide on the Potomac at a Paleocene spot.  This was like the opposite of the the Eocene trip--all sand tigers and hardly any otodus!  Anyway, the day was producing just the average finds here and there for the most part. At one point, though, my (impatient) helper quickly passed over this little rivulet of rain runoff coming from the cliffs without taking much of a look. I've had some success in these mini-streams in the past being kind of like natural sieves.  So I stopped for a close look and sure enough spotted this dark shape which turned out to be my find of the day--this gorgeous croc tooth. (And I made another collecting movie clip for the ride home: https://youtu.be/YGi0-X7a_vg ) It would have been nice to find another half dozen big teeth, although I was really happy for just the one beauty for just a few hours trip. But, of course, the time outdoors by myself and with the kids was priceless!  I hope you enjoy the pix and vids!

20201224_170439.jpg

20201219_142621.jpg

20201219_193712.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Nice finds! 

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!