Marine fossils - coral or sponge or crinoid

G Mac

The fifth and sixth images look to be some sort of burrow (Thalassinoides.) The rest seem to be a mineral formation. I'll let more experienced members chime in on them. @ynot?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

It's speculation, but I can see the little hollow ball (igloo like) shapes being algae balls that were preserved when iron minerals precipitated on them.

• I found this Informative 1

I live in an area that is rich in Karst geology. Because of the Karst, rocks similar to this are frequently found and are not fossils. Could the hollow structures  be  "soda straws"?????

Mike

19 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Could the hollow structures  be  "soda straws"?????

I think that could be it. Notice how the features appear to progress vertically, and slightly tilted as if the floor were shifting from horizontal over time as they built up.

It is the cauliflower like precipitates that are extremely common in the rock strata here. From there, it made sense to think early stalactites.

4 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

early stalactites

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

the floor

So sorry. Ceiling. 

It was some time ago that I visited caverns. :Confused05:

I think, you may have there some nice iron-cemented pipes. Try to compare with the specimens below.

here

Slide3.JPG.05bc0529f406773b7528173b4a07c808.jpeg.c0741b16fbb48ba19db1aa936e496bc0.jpeg17STD-Scan-bbbMultirock-04-fin-m.thumb.jpg.0cc4c390098c08b96e990a0840c21ca1.jpg11STD-Pipes-Middlebere-Complex.thumb.jpg.8ab9e6df8e114cbd95ebb6b723087794.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

For the other one, I suggest also geological / iron features.

You have a very nice example, in my thinking. :)

Slide4.JPG.4cb40bba8d18e67553b92a1e25cd4ae6.JPG.698bdb128065a8c9087380be166d8170.JPG

Concretions1.pdf

Concretions1-07.thumb.jpg.276920f2d3962e1ea8f2cb0aa5b772da.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library