Best fossil sites in Santa Cruz CA?

Ornithurae

I wanted to get out of there house to do something social distanced outdoors. I'm very new at fossil hunting and I was wondering where I might be able to go in/near Santa Cruz CA or anywhere north of there. Thanks : )

5 minutes ago, Ornithurae said:

I wanted to get out of there house to do something social distanced outdoors. I'm very new at fossil hunting and I was wondering where I might be able to go in/near Santa Cruz CA or anywhere north of there. Thanks : )

Welcome to the Forum. 

You could try Capitola  Beach. 

You can use THIS WEBSITE to start your searching, but keep in mind that the information is VERY , VERY  OLD, and no longer accurate

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum. Don Kenney's database compilation like Fossildude19 mentioned is always a good source to start at. As he mentioned the data is often out of date but it gives you a general idea to start with. I know Capitola beach is well known. Local clubs will likely be able to help you learn of and gain access to sites. I'm not sure how inclusive the Northern California Geological Society is but they do post guidebooks on their website here http://www.ncgeolsoc.org/ and offer field trips. There is also a Santa Cruz Gem and Mineral Society that does similar things. http://www.scrockngem.org/ The benefit of living in a populous state.

I did find this publication about the Santa Cruz Mountains using references from NCGS. https://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/1168/report.pdf

Aside from a good overview of the geology and paleontology it includes a list of collecting sites. It's a little old but has a lot of sites. As always, be mindful of your local regulations and private property.

Good luck.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I'm not sure how inclusive the Northern California Geological Society is but they do post guidebooks on their website here http://www.ncgeolsoc.org/ and offer field trips.

The Merced Formation along the ocean from San Francisco southward has lots of fossils.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.researchgate.net/figure/Geology-of-the-Merced-Formation-and-related-structures_fig4_249552115/amp

NSGS allows anyone interested in geology to join. The even find some fossils on their trips.

“The Society’s objectives are to promote the scientific and educational aspects of geology,“

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 hours ago, will stevenson said:

@Fossildude19 it says on the website it is recent as of November 2020 so it looks like it was updated :)

The website may have indeed been updated. That doesn't mean the information is any better. They could have corrected formatting, or punctuation, or grammar.  :unsure: 

There is a BIG difference between updating a website, and updating the information ON the website.  :Confused02:

Most of the locations are taken from scientific papers from the late 1800's and early 1900's. Over 100 years ago,  in many cases. Progress, building, property being sold and developed have all come into play to invalidate  much of the information provided there. That is why it is a good place to begin research, ... but don't expect the sites to still be there. ;) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

2 hours ago, will stevenson said:

@Fossildude19 it says on the website it is recent as of November 2020 so it looks like it was updated :)

Even the link in DPS Ammonite's post is from 2007. That is 13 years ago. How much has changed in your local area in 13 years? 

That is a long time for lots of things to happen.  

I use to hunt that intire area back in the 1990's.  I found the capitola area the best after a big storm in the winter.  Scotts valley too but most of that is now either built over or posted.   Also, if you know where the surfers park and walk down that huge wooden stairway you may find some fossils.  If you go to the right after coming off the stairway, look for a thin black layer of mostly plant material, but the occasional crab can be found in that layer.  You can also find what i call 'floaters', the occasional hunk of bone anywhere in those cliffs.   But if you go to capitola and go south and the sand is gone, then just start looking at all the rocks on the beach.  Some are loaded with bone. You will find some huge whale skulls there, also stuff in those cliffs, but be careful. 

Here is a vert that was in one of those rocks on the beach with the rock removed.  have fun

RB

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-003S.JPG

15 hours ago, RJB said:

I use to hunt that intire area back in the 1990's.  I found the capitola area the best after a big storm in the winter.  Scotts valley too but most of that is now either built over or posted.   Also, if you know where the surfers park and walk down that huge wooden stairway you may find some fossils.  If you go to the right after coming off the stairway, look for a thin black layer of mostly plant material, but the occasional crab can be found in that layer.  You can also find what i call 'floaters', the occasional hunk of bone anywhere in those cliffs.   But if you go to capitola and go south and the sand is gone, then just start looking at all the rocks on the beach.  Some are loaded with bone. You will find some huge whale skulls there, also stuff in those cliffs, but be careful. 

Here is a vert that was in one of those rocks on the beach with the rock removed.  have fun

RB

MVC-002S.JPG MVC-003S.JPG

I ended up going to capitola and came back with what I believe are three whale fossils which I'm going to have to make another post to ID.  Thank you!

On 12/26/2020 at 12:54 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. 

You could try Capitola  Beach. 

You can use THIS WEBSITE to start your searching, but keep in mind that the information is VERY , VERY  OLD, and no longer accurate

Thank you!