2020 - a year in review - part one - my best finds of the year - trilobitess

elcoincoin

Despite the pandemy and various restrictions which occured, it happened we managed to make quite a few  trips. i did, in my opinion, numerous good finds, specially in the trilobites department.

So this post shows the nicest trilo i found in 2020. We visited 3 different sites with various luck.

The first noticable trilo of the year was found a few days only before the first lockdown. It was a very happy split, you can see on the pictures the chisel was  very close.

So here it is :

Ectillaenus giganteus

medium.20-ectillaenus-giganteus-1.JPG.f7

medium.20-ectillaenus-giganteus-2.JPG.01

large.20-ectillaenus-giganteus-3.JPG.2df

Later, in the end of spring / start of summer, we had the opportunity to try twice a new playground. The first visit yielded me this killer  Eodalmanitina macrophtalma

medium.152-eodalmanitina-macrophtalma.JP

The second visit, i scored  a specie i never did before (not that is it rare, but it hasnt been found on my usual playground)

Placoparia tournemini tournemini

medium.154-placoparia-tournemini.JPG.3d6

and even a double

medium.155-placoparia-tournemini.JPG.622

• I found this Informative 20

The third side didnt give anything worth mentionning, well it hardly gave anything at all. add The heavy rain to an already hard place to dig, and you're done.

At the end of august we were able to go back to the first site and since we paid 5 visits. Some of the rocks we split were slightly different than the ones we have been used to in this site.

Different species repartition, (only common species, unfortunately) but a very good conservation (way better than most of the time).

so here is a few samples :

Another Ectillaenus giganteus , but with a totally different preservation

medium.IMGP9078.JPG.ff2fda338e7ad042bfa6

a few Neseuretus tristani  ( the most common specie around)

medium.73-Neseuretus-tristani-2.JPG.c9c2

medium.75-Neseuretus-tristani.JPG.510f29

medium.88-Neseuretus-tristani-1.JPG.db17

medium.89-Neseuretus-tristani-1.JPG.e777

And a globally common specie, but not common at all usually on the site :

Colpocoryphe rouaulti

large.34-Colpocoryphe-rouaulti-2.JPG.23a

large.86-Colpocoryphe-rouaulti-2.JPG.7f1

Association of one complete Colpocoryphe rouaulti and various Neseuretus tristani parts (pygidia and cephalons)

medium.29-Colpocoryphe-rouaulti-1.JPG.52

I may had a few one still been prep if i manage to get them done soon;

• I found this Informative 15

Phenomenal finds! I've always found the distortion very interesting, and those are certainly locations I one day dream of collecting from! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

:default_faint:

All of these are amazing, but that double Placoparia tournemini is especially outstanding!

I am very :envy:

Thanks so much for showcasing your trilobites. It looks like you had a phenomenal year! 

Mike

47 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thanks so much for showcasing your trilobites. It looks like you had a phenomenal year! 

Mike

I think we did well indeed. With the lock down and the time we couldnt access the site because of heavy earthwork,  we still managed to pay a few visits and as often perseverance actually paid. Even if we had less diversity than previous years, the quality was better than most of the time.

• I found this Informative 1

I'm amazed at the, I guess, deformation/distortion of those trilobites in some of those pics. The visual effects perform some weird warpature of the curvature parameters in my brain.