Fossilized Shark Tooth Type found Missouri

MOGARDE

Hello,

We found this small fossilized shark's tooth on the Missouri River near St. Louis, MO and were hoping to get some help on identifying the type of shark.  Thank You!

FullSizeR (2).jpg

FullSizeR_1 (1).jpg

Its very worn but the surprisng part is it was found in Missouri! The only way I can see it is if it was transported here by someone and then they lost it, not sure what the river looks like there but maybe a family went to the east coast, found it and then put it in some sand supplies that they didn't get back out til today in the Missouri river of course its all speculation but its fun to make up a story :)

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Hm. I’ve read that Cretaceous fossils have been found in glacial gravel deposits in Missouri, so there is a possibility that this tooth is from a similar deposit.

Heres a link that describes a Squalicorax tooth found in Missouri:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/266657654_A_Cretaceous_Shark_Tooth_in_Glacial_Debris_of_Middle_Missouri

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, MOGARDE said:

Thank you for the link, I am reading it now.

You’re welcome, hopefully it helps:)

Can you get a picture of the root from the bottom?

If it's flat, and more disk shaped, I was thinking it may be a large cladodont tooth probably eroded from a carboniferous deposit.

Steve

3 hours ago, Bullsnake said:

Can you get a picture of the root from the bottom?

If it's flat, and more disk shaped, I was thinking it may be a large cladodont tooth probably eroded from a carboniferous deposit.

To me it looks more Lamniform but that’s pretty much just a guess.

And also, in my experience shark teeth from Carboniferous deposits don’t last super long outside of the matrix, especially in a setting like a river. That’s been my experience from deposits out east, though I’m not sure if it applies to Midwestern shark teeth as well. 

It does not look like a Carboniferous tooth to me, in shape or preservation (from an Illinois perspective).