massive ammonite shell real?

eduardo quintero

hi I'm new here and friend gave me this as a gift though it was a replica but that leaf kind of pattern must be hard to replicate so any ideas what this is? or if it's valuable? thanks

• I found this Informative 1

ok I get it. and sorry about the pics I have so many more but the system only allowed me 3.9 mb for image up loading. if need more pics let me know how to send it to you thanks. like I said new here.lol

5 minutes ago, eduardo quintero said:

ok I get it. and sorry about the pics I have so many more but the system only allowed me 3.9 mb for image up loading. if need more pics let me know how to send it to you thanks. like I said new here.lol

Resizing the pics will help, but you can also add more now in replies. Refresh the page if necessary 

For me, it's a big ammonites showing the suture lines. Not a replica, in my thinking.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Very nice ammonite. Any idea where it was found? As others said the original shell has dissolved away revealing the sutures. Those folded lines are where walls of shell material attached to the inside of the original shell to seal off chambers behind a much larger space where the body rested. The chambers were filled with air to provide buoyancy for swimming. We call these examples of solidified minerals filling the inside of the original shell steinkerns or internal molds.

oh ok. is great  to hear that thanks for the info well I currently live in the san Diego area and my friend got it from a cousin of his that use to be in the Mexican navy and they found it on a baja mex island exactly where I don't know.. 

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Looks real to me. It's a so-called steinkern or natural cast of the original created by the hardened sediment which filled the shell after burial.

Essentially, it's a real replica. :)