Unable to identify North Texas bivalve

Creek - Don

I found this bivalve yesterday while fossil hunting North Central Cooke County near Red River.   These area has mixed Walnut Clay,  Goodland and Antlers Sand formations.  Closest similar one I found on the Internet was Gyrostrea from Commanche Peak formation in Hood county, but I doubt it.   

clam1.JPG

clam2.JPG

clam3.JPG

clam4.JPG

clam5.JPG

clam6.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

I believe the most common bivalve in the area would be Inoceramus. Is there a reason you eliminated that possibility?

1 hour ago, BobWill said:

I believe the most common bivalve in the area would be Inoceramus. Is there a reason you eliminated that possibility?

Hi Bob.  I looked into it, but never seen any Inoceramus bivalve like this.  Matter of fact, I have both Duck Creek (left), Austin Chalk (center), Ozan (right) Inoceramus bivalves in my fossil collection.  This bivalve is more round, dome shaped compare to flat and elongated Inoceramus.   Also groove pattern doesn't appear to match up with other three.  

clam8.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the odd details and have no idea how much they can vary like some species do. Everything else I know of that's even close to that is from the upper Cretaceous. It looks like two clams specimens are on that rock, maybe both valves. Is the smaller one any closer to what we are used to seeing, maybe more similar growth lines?

3 minutes ago, BobWill said:

Yeah, I noticed the odd details and have no idea how much they can vary like some species do. Everything else I know of that's even close to that is from the upper Cretaceous. It looks like two clams specimens are on that rock, maybe both valves. Is the smaller one any closer to what we are used to seeing, maybe more similar growth lines?

Yes, they both have same groove pattern so very closely related to the larger one.  

Hi, I think you could be right for gyrostrea. At least for the darkest one. 

I'm no expert on Texan fossils, but I saw on the net that leptosolens from the Comanche Peak Formantion have that kind of pattern. 

What would help is to remove the maximum of matrix. 

• I found this Informative 3

10 hours ago, Even said:

Hi, I think you could be right for gyrostrea. At least for the darkest one. 

I'm no expert on Texan fossils, but I saw on the net that leptosolens from the Comanche Peak Formantion have that kind of pattern. 

What would help is to remove the maximum of matrix. 

I thought about that too, but Gyrostrea is not normally found in the Cooke County.  I don't know whether I want to spend any more time prepping.  Too much work for lowly bivalve. 

8 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

I thought about that too, but Gyrostrea is not normally found in the Cooke County.  I don't know whether I want to spend any more time prepping.  Too much work for lowly bivalve. 

Maybe you're the first to find one. :santasmile: