Simple marine fossil ID assistance please

DandelionWish

Hello! These aren't my pictures but I was given permission to post them to hopefully get an ID. I think #1 is crinoid stem, and #3 I was thinking some kind of brachiopod possibly? Thanks in advance! 

fossil 1 (2).jpg

fossil 2 (2).jpg

fossil 3 (2).jpg

fossil 4 (2).jpg

fossil 5 (2).jpg

#1- crinoid stems

#2- bryozoan?

#3-5- brachiopods

Do you have any more information about where these were found? Age? Formation? That could help narrow down a specific identification for some of the fossils.

• I found this Informative 3

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

1 - Correct - crinoid lumen cast. 

2 - Bryozoan

3 - Brachiopod imprint - maybe similar to Leptaena sp. 

4 - Spiriferid brachiopod

5 - Rhynchonellid brachiopod. 

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

2 hours ago, DandelionWish said:

Thank you so much! You guys are so quick! 

Well,  quick in providing the identifications, but likely took decades to learn what the correct identifications were. This forum has some experts in all kinds of fossil related topics... Welcome to an interesting and friendly place.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Well,  quick in providing the identifications, but likely took decades to learn what the correct identifications were. This forum has some experts in all kinds of fossil related topics... Welcome to an interesting and friendly place.

I can imagine! I love fossils but every piece I have was either purchased with identification already on it or someone with more knowledge than myself identified them. Maybe one day I'll get there myself! 

5 hours ago, historianmichael said:

#1- crinoid stems

#2- bryozoan?

#3-5- brachiopods

Do you have any more information about where these were found? Age? Formation? That could help narrow down a specific identification for some of the fossils.

Thank you! These were found in South West MO if that changes anything. :)

39 minutes ago, DandelionWish said:

Thank you! These were found in South West MO if that changes anything. :)

Unfortunately I am not familiar with that area, but I am sure there are others here who do. Best of luck!

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

First of all, a very warm welcome to the forum!

3 hours ago, DandelionWish said:

I can imagine! I love fossils but every piece I have was either purchased with identification already on it or someone with more knowledge than myself identified them. Maybe one day I'll get there myself! 

Owning a collection with mostly purchased items doesn't need to prevent you from learning. It can actually be a very good point of departure to acquire and build your knowledge. All it takes is for you to get interested in the pieces you already own to figure out what they are, how they look, and how you can tell the differences between similar looking items. And next time you'll come across a piece like that you'll know what it is, eventually even whether the initial label a seller provided you with is accurate or not. That is, multiple pieces can corroborate each other, affirming your knowledge, or contradict each other, prompting investigation and study ;) Whatever you choose to do, palaeontology and fossils are a very interesting hobby, so: enjoy!

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

7 hours ago, Rockwood said:

But no cheating on homework. Really study them.  :Wink1:

Boy, some people take all the fun out of homework :default_faint: