Lycopsid identification help needed - Sigillaria?

Kato

At first sight out in the back country I thought I had stumbled on some calamite sections. After cleaning up some specimens at home, I am now leaning more toward some other Lycopsid. Perhaps Sigillaria?

@paleoflor

DarkSig3.thumb.jpg.96952302d715b221ca9dcd32619d205f.jpg

More photos to follow

DarkSig3.jpg

1 hour ago, Kato said:

At first sight out in the back country I thought I had stumbled on some calamite sections.

Stay there. That's what it is.

• I found this Informative 3

I agree with the Calamites ID. The last photo shows where the nodes that are so often used to identify Calamites would have been.

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Stay there. That's what it is.

@Rockwood     

If my memory serves me correctly there is essentially no outer layer preservation of calamites. What is showing in these specimens is vascular tissue?

Agree with Calamites; the nodes are clearly visible and the ribs alternate at the nodal lines. Based on the branch scar in the last photograph, I'd even be quite comfortable calling that specific specimen "Calamites subgenus Diplocalamites". Perhaps you can compare your specimen with Calamites carinatus, though the preservation is rather atypical here. 

Searching for green in the dark grey.

3 hours ago, Kato said:

@Rockwood     

If my memory serves me correctly there is essentially no outer layer preservation of calamites. What is showing in these specimens is vascular tissue?

I believe this is a pith cast, so those would be impressions of the vascular tissues, yes.

As with most plants, they have been preserved in a number of other ways though.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Agree with Calamites; the nodes are clearly visible and the ribs alternate at the nodal lines. Based on the branch scar in the last photograph, I'd even be quite comfortable calling that specific specimen "Calamites subgenus Diplocalamites". Perhaps you can compare your specimen with Calamites carinatus, though the preservation is rather atypical here. 

@paleoflor

I was able to verify an oppositional branch scar node to the one photographed on that piece. Theoretically, this would begin to align with your thought of Diplocalamites. From your suggestion I researched online and read that 

Diplocalamites has two opposite branch scars at every node. Per node they turn by 90 degrees.

diplocalamites.png.d600f90b594b86f28c84fbba05b01912.png

Unable to verify the pattern above clearly whereby the branch scars turn by 90 degrees per node. Yet, there was another section with the opposite branch scars. 

If the opposite branch scars occur only sporadically, rather than every node, you might want to consider subgenus Stylocalamites too (note these are all "morphogenera" anyway).

Fossil plant names are complicated, but it's necessary because many detached parts preserve in ways that represent different aspects of the original plant. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, paleoflor said:

If the opposite branch scars occur only sporadically, rather than every node, you might want to consider subgenus Stylocalamites too (note these are all "morphogenera" anyway).

@paleoflor  @Rockwood

Given the small size of the calamite would it be reasonable to expect not much branching in general? The two oppositional branch scars nodes were separated by a node that a break and material breakdown occurred making it unlikely to find branch scars. The two nodes having scars are aligned as shown in the diagram above. The 2 nodes with scars are skewed to the far end of the specimen which is 54" in length.  Given the repetition of the pattern in every other node I feel your diplocalamites is correct. 

Once I get a proper pry bar I'm going back with a small shovel, a 2lb hammer and a chisel to see if I can find more of the calamite.  i.e. maybe the rhizome?

So....two oppositional pairs with a broken node in-between and then nothing discernible below that. Perhaps some suggestions of branch scars but not unequivocable.

diplocalamites_modified.png.f93423fc444886e3bfffe5aa6f4a43f2.png

Most representations of annularia that I'm familiar with are on branches that must be at least one order out, so I would expect the standard bottle brush configuration to be normal here. 

12 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Most representations of annularia that I'm familiar with are on branches that must be at least one order out, so I would expect the standard bottle brush configuration to be normal here. 

@rockwood @paleoflor

132976239095952-med.jpg.1062c0fb426311216179943870ccba01.jpg

image.thumb.png.438e26af24a3208b233511033cc7f05c.png

The reconstructions of the morphological subgenera are quite illustrative, but more recent research has shown the calamiteleans showed rather more variable growth (e.g. Rössler and Feng, 2012). Note palaeobotanical nomenclature generally suffers from the fragmented nature of the fossils. The specimen you encountered is relatively large, so it would be interesting to look at the positions of the branch scars in detail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't fit any of the above morphological subgenera. Good luck with excavating the remainder! 

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Makes perfect sense. Plants always have to play the hand they are dealt.

@Rockwood @paleoflor

Thank you for offering your insight and time.  I appreciate your expertise and enjoy reading the articles paleoflor suggests.

Wow! Reading the suggested article....10 meters of trunk found. It appears I have a long ways to go at <2 meters. Given the apparent diameter of this small trunk it may have only been 4-5 meters tall?