New Jersey Crinoid (childhood find)

frankh8147

I wanted to show a fossil I found years before I ever joined this forum or took a step in the Cretaceous brooks. This is a Crinoid specimen I found about 20 years ago at the Delaware River in Burlington City, NJ when I was a kid. The Deleware River has a good amount of fossils brought down here from the glaciers.

At the time, I did a horrible job prepping (if you can even call it that) this fossil and pretty much destroyed the middle of it. A few months ago, I re-discovered this in a closet at my parents' house. I took some time, polished up the middle, did a little trimming, and now I'm actually quite fond of this so I figured I would show it off!

Have a good winter season of collecting everyone!

crinoid.jpg

crinoid2.jpg

crinoid3.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Nice one Frank. I don't often see slabs covered with crinoid stem pieces facing upright. That has a Devonianish feel to it, but I can't say for sure. 

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Nice one Frank. I don't often see slabs covered with crinoid stem pieces facing upright. That has a Devonianish feel to it, but I can't say for sure. 

Thanks Jeff! I had the same thought, just based on the 'eye test'. It's just tough to be sure being that it originated so far from where I found it.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in your area and have found Paleozoic fossils washed downriver by the Delaware as well. Apologies for a poor photo but this mollusc hash is the only photo I have on hand. This is from Falls Township near Morrisville. I have also seen a similar specimen to mine in the basement display of the John Abbott II Museum in Hamilton.

Neat to see another fluvial  washdown specimen, thanks for sharing @frankh8147

20171202_212644.jpg

On 1/29/2021 at 2:55 AM, jpenn said:

I'm in your area and have found Paleozoic fossils washed downriver by the Delaware as well. Apologies for a poor photo but this mollusc hash is the only photo I have on hand. This is from Falls Township near Morrisville. I have also seen a similar specimen to mine in the basement display of the John Abbott II Museum in Hamilton.

Neat to see another fluvial  washdown specimen, thanks for sharing @frankh8147

20171202_212644.jpg

Thank you! That's a nice one you found too - thanks for sharing!

Frank