Mjb99

Found this on a rocky beach in Southern California and have no clue what it could be. Both sides are almost Ying yang like. Let me know if you have any clues!

20201230_185722.jpg

+1 for septarian nodule.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@digit and @Fossildude19 are two of our most knowledgeable, most valuable (and personal favorite) TFF members/moderators.  So, I hate to disagree with them, but I will.  :D

I think you are certainly right in your conclusion; I think these are fossil mud cracks.  I have a few examples of the same type of fossils in my "fossilized weather" collection - which includes lightening strikes (fulgurites), water and wind wave formations, rain drops, etc.  I think of these as "weather" ichnofossils. 

[Of course to apply the term ichnofossils to weather, one would have to accept the Gaia hypothesis that Earth is a living being.  But - that theory does have such notable proponents as Lynn Margulis, biologist and former wife of Carl Sagan!  While I remain agnostic on the subject, awaiting further data to support the hypothesis, I'm comfortable with the term "weather Ichnofossils" to tag my "fossil" weather collection.]

Long and short, nice mud crack preservation. :i_am_so_happy:

I like the term "weather ichnofossils" ;)

Looking back at the photos above it seems that the cracks may only be present on two sides of this item and not evenly distributed around the rock. A septarian concretion generally has rather evenly distributed cracking all around it. The difference between the patterning on one side versus the other I took to be differential weathering but it could be the result of two different cracked mud layers one upon the other forming the two sides. I think @grandpa might be onto something here. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1