Please Help Identify! Trace Fossil??

Dilla1080

Hello! I am new to this forum and new to the world of identifying rocks and fossils. I have several rocks and fossils that I am trying to identify on my own, but this one is proving to be beyond my VERY limited knowledge.  My grandfather and I would go rock hunting in the Texas hill country when I was a little girl.  He recently passed away and I am now slowly moving all of his rocks that he collected throughout his life to my home.  Unfortunately, I do not know much about this rock.  I ASSUME he acquired it in the Texas hill country but I am not certain.  The rock is VERY heavy, probably 80-100 lbs and is approximately 17" wide and 4.5" deep.  It has a reddish-brown color with black markings throughout.  On one side there are "swirl" or "circular" markings and the edges appear to have deep striations or layers.  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated! Thank you, Alisha 

rock 1.jpg

rock 2.jpg

rock 4.jpg

rock 7.jpg

I am no expert, but it looks like iron concretion that are very common in my area. I had one that was very heavy and its place was on our porch until I gave it away. I thought it was a huge fossil but a geologists friend identified it for me. 

Wow! I had never heard of that word. But i will say, after all the digging i have done that seems to look the closest to what I have,  But isn't stromalites rare (or even non existent) in Texas? I am 99% sure this is from the Texas hill country. Ny grandfather never went to another country and lived half his life in the hill country and would go back regularly and that is where all of his rocks and fossils come from as far as i know. What are the characteristics that made you come to this conclusion? are stromatllites REALLY heavy for their size?

Interesting. Thank you for your reply Jeannie55. I have a friend that is a geologist and he lives in arkansas. I sent him a picture yesterday but he hasnt responded yet.  I will let you know if he replies.

• 4 months later...

It kind of reminds me of petrified palm wood. I have some pieces with similar exterior....943BA2A0-DCCE-46FB-81C9-27E17CA6B41D.thumb.jpeg.609a9fe9e6d236037689343c35bc1a5d.jpegFC3967D4-D521-45BC-8FA0-C58B682FFBDE.thumb.jpeg.e9c607d536cea5da9d05e430c9b4e3df.jpeg
 6E93DE4A-A8A5-4ED6-9609-8C81EE9E213D.thumb.jpeg.0ed411f1b701fc0bf575862191d5fb0e.jpeg