Multi Seed Pod Branches!!!

RJB

My youngest son found this many years ago.  When he found it,  (lifting big slabs of rock) it was very appearent that is was going to fall apart.  I picked up my little 2oz bottle of super glue and was going to glue it up so that it had a better chance of making the trip home?   Well, that didnt work so good.  I put the tip of the bottle,  ( I use those little needle tips)  where I wanted to put glue.  It wasnt comeing out so I squeezed harder.  Big mistake!  The tip popped off and the glue came out like a river!  Frigin glue everywhere!!!   Anyways, the kid was snoopin in some boxes and totes I have in one of my garages and ran into this piece again.   About 5 hours later, it came out somewhat decent?   I know most folks are gunna love this but seeing it up  close and personal I get really picky.  I still have bad memories of all the glue!   These are some kind of sycamore seed pods from the Green River Formation

This is how it came out of the tote.

DSCN0830.JPG.31140f333d87b75b6877738ccf6fc6fd.JPG 

After about 5 hours of air scribe work and lots of concentration

DSCN0840.JPG.48a84e3c56e24d6947e2004d7465c0d4.JPG

A close up of the multi seed pods

DSCN0842.JPG.61110f5619b30908bd22a501537c1404.JPG

DSCN0841.JPG

• I found this Informative 18

Beautiful piece, Ron! Well done, sir.  :tiphat:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Those look pretty fragile.  I'm guessing your accident with the glue may have saved them from crumbling off the matrix.  Anyway, great fossils! :wub:

Don

This was originally classified as Sparganium antiquum, an aquatic flowering plant.  FYI: Always check Manchester! :DOH:

Manchester 2014 reclassified it Sycamore infructescences (fruiting body): Macginicarpa manchesteri  Pigg & Stockey 1991

A spectacular example---Congrats! happy0144.gif

Berry , E.W. 1924

A Sparganium from the Middle Eocene of Wyoming.

Botanical Gazette, 78:342-348  PDF LINK

Sulman, J.D., Drew, B.T., Drummond, C., Hayasaka, E., Sytsma, K.J. 2013

Systematics, biogeography, and character evolution of Sparganium (Typhaceae): diversification of a widespread, aquatic lineage.

American Journal of Botany, 100(10):2023-2039  PDF LINK

"Eocene records include S. antiquum (Newberry) Berry from Wyoming, USA (Berry, 1924) and S. fushunense Geng from northeastern China (Geng, 1999).

These macrofossils bear globose heads with or without a peduncle, similar to modern-day Sparganium (Brown, 1962)."

Manchester, S.R. 2014

Revisions to Roland Brown's North American Paleocene flora.

Sborník Národního muzea v Praze - Řada B, 70(3-4):153-210 PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.6eaf224707df6cc33b4713752576076c.png

figures from:

Pigg, K.B., Stockey, R.A. 1991

Platanaceous plants from the Paleocene of Alberta, Canada.

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 70(1-2):125-146

• I found this Informative 6

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Once again you guys post a find that has me spraying coffee all over my screen and keyboard!

Great Find!

This is one of the species on my too long bucket list of fossils.

Some "accident".  What a great save.  Nothing to feel badly about here IMHO.  Congrats on a great specimen.:default_clap2:

• 2 weeks later...

A certain museum curator once told me that he would rather have a fossil covered in superglue than no fossil at all. :P

I understand the aggravation though. As a preparator, my eye is also drawn to the same things as yours. I have found that the Green River material responds well to a vigorous brushing with an acetone soaked toothbrush to remove unwanted glue. It will never be perfect, but you can clean it up more than you think you should be able to. Just work in small areas, repeatedly scrubbing in a circular motion and wetting with acetone often. This will soften and remove most of the glue. You will also pick up some bits of matrix that will get adhered to the glue that remains, further disguising it.

• I found this Informative 2

On 1/18/2021 at 11:25 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I understand the aggravation though. As a preparator, my eye is also drawn to the same things as yours. I have found that the Green River material responds well to a vigorous brushing with an acetone soaked toothbrush to remove unwanted glue. It will never be perfect, but you can clean it up more than you think you should be able to. Just work in small areas, repeatedly scrubbing in a circular motion and wetting with acetone often. This will soften and remove most of the glue. You will also pick up some bits of matrix that will get adhered to the glue that remains, further disguising it.

Thanks for the tip Kris but its too late.  The kid has already taken it home.  

RB