A mystery vertebra

FF7_Yuffie

Massive longshot with this one because I literally have no info other than it being a dinosaur vert. The seller bought a bunch of antiques and collectables and this was included listed as just "dinosaur vertebra". Some of the other fossils he has listed are clearly Moroccan--Mosasaur, Onchopristis etc, but this one definitely doesn't look Moroccan to me.

SO, getting an ID is a massive longshot, but perhaps someone can recognize it and narrow it down a bit. I messaged seller for more info, but ... that's it unfortunately. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

A few things seem very wrong about this to me. I'm not even certain it was a vert, or if it was crafted to look like a vert.

Wouldn't the foramen in even the most vertebra like surface (top photo) be symmetrically arranged ? 

9 hours ago, FF7_Yuffie said:

SO, getting an ID is a massive longshot

My gut when I first saw this was a cetacean (whale) vert as well ....

Cheers,

Brett 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

brushed look and lighting angle

Yeah, these images are wicked blurry and not the best for an ID ... 

B

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, 10313horn said:

are we talking inches or cm.  I was thinking dolphin

My guess is cm, normally inches are broken into 16ths and the OP does not live in the US

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

33 minutes ago, 10313horn said:

if it is cm than i would think the vertebrae is significantly small for whale

I use the term 'whale' very loosely.  Cetacean is more correct, so yes small for most whales, more dolphin size.  But yes, whale verts get pretty small in the tail.  

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the help. Ruler size is cm. I'm glad managed to get it narrowed down more.

Cheers everyone