Andy Craddock

I’m a landscape gardener & came across this fossil in a piece of new quarried sandstone walling. I’m assuming it is some form of Calamite but what’s puzzling me is the solid form that weaved through the middle of it. The specimen is approximately 100mm long & 40mm across the stem.

All opinions welcome, I’m keen on geology & fossil hunting in general but I’m no expert! Thanks, Andy

7F2ACE89-573F-48BB-97ED-6DDF1CDB165F.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice specimen! Not sure what the longitudinal structure is, but I can say you see them more often and on a wide variety of Calamites species. Given the latter, I think it might be something taphonomic, rather than integral to the plant tissue. I imagine the hollow stems may split open longitudinally during flattening (burial under sediments). Perhaps the structure you see here is the infilling of a split-stem... That's my interpretation, anyway. Curious to see others' ideas on this!    

• I found this Informative 6

Searching for green in the dark grey.

P.S. Your specimen shows constricted nodal lines (the "segments" are a bit "barrel-shaped") and the whole structure is surrounded by a carbonized "sheath". These properties are indicative for Calamites schutzei or Calamites schutzeiformis. Might be worthwhile to compare your specimen in hand with examples of those species (see Kidston and Jongmans, 1917).

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks, may not be a Calamite but looking at the segmented structure I’m presuming it’s some form of plant stem. The walling stone has the occasional coal seam through it & this specimen was found in a narrow seam as the walling stone sheared in my hand along a weak fault line. The stone in question was quarried for Halifax or possibly Huddersfield- both areas are renowned gritstone quarry sites.

29 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

Nice specimen! Not sure what the longitudinal structure is, but I can say you see them more often and on a wide variety of Calamites species. Given the latter, I think it might be something taphonomic, rather than integral to the plant tissue. I imagine the hollow stems may split open longitudinally during flattening (burial under sediments). Perhaps the structure you see here is the infilling of a split-stem... That's my interpretation, anyway. Curious to see others' ideas on this!    

Is that a branch scar ? It seems misaligned with the node, which seems compressed, or somehow unusual to me.

Again, taphonimic ?

17 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

P.S. Your specimen shows constricted nodal lines (the "segments" are a bit "barrel-shaped") and the whole structure is surrounded by a carbonized "sheath".

Oops. I missed this somehow.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Oops. I missed this somehow.

Too irregular to be a branch scar I think, here’s a typical image of the branch scarring on calamites, seem to form radially around the stem. The split & fill theory sounds most likely, thanks everyone fir your help & insights- I’ll be keeping a keen eye on the rest of the stone batch to see if there’s a continuation of the same anywhere.

462FE0CC-88AB-43C5-AF92-726697F8492C.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Is that a branch scar ? It seems misaligned with the node, which seems compressed, or somehow unusual to me.

Again, taphonimic ?

Not sure which structure you are referring to. Made a quick sketch. The blue structure is the coalified woody cylinder, the internal structure is shown in yellow. This shows the characteristic nodes and "segments" (internodes). Note they are a bit convex (barrel-shaped) here, as the nodal lines are slightly constricted. What I think is a longitudinal split/rupture of the hollow stem is shown in red.   

Annotated.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

2 hours ago, paleoflor said:

Not sure which structure you are referring to.

This is the most questionable. 

7F2ACE89-573F-48BB-97ED-6DDF1CDB165F.thumb.jpeg.232d7210416a41812969cd76d3bfa889_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

This is the most questionable. 

7F2ACE89-573F-48BB-97ED-6DDF1CDB165F.thumb.jpeg.232d7210416a41812969cd76d3bfa889_LI.jpg

No idea what that would be...

21 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

No idea what that would be..

Top of a Hylonomous skull would be nice.

This came up in a google search, but my photos from Joggins show I was thinking of Dendrerpeton.

23 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Top of a Hylonomous skull would be nice.

This came up in a google search, but my photos from Joggins show I was thinking of Dendrerpeton.

Good sense of humor...haha.

I wonder what the preservation possibilities would be relative to the calamite in what appears to be a glauconite formation.

Seems they prefer the hollow portions of the plants

Dendrerpeton is an extinct genus of amphibian. They are generally found associated with hollows of the Lepidodendron and Sigillaria tree genera, for which their fossils are contained within. These fossils are disarticulated and flattened providing poor specimens. In this species the stapes was used as a support structure for the ear than for hearing as in later tetropods. The specimens are generally 100 cm, large otic notch in the back of the skull.

I have similar structures in some of my Calamites, see first image (light blue grid is one inch). The second image shows the carbonized sheath, but not on Calamites. Also note the somewhat gridded bark pattern at the left end.

10082_1.JPG

10083_1.JPG

I think that may be an extremely far leap, Dale.  :unsure: 

7F2ACE89-573F-48BB-revf-vert.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I have seen this central structure too and wondered what causes that. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the "s" was part of the name rather than the plural form. I have been pronouncing it   " cal-uh-mite'-ease. "

calamites.jpg.90764d3a342ae61c695fd7f9bc6294de.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

30 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I think that may be an extremely far leap, Dale.

And from me that surprises you ? :)