Asexual reproduction in Scleractian Pattalophyllia corals. Eocene inf. Ilerdian from South Pyrenean basin.

the beginning:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Diferent intermediate stages:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The end: 

DSCN2181-1.jpg

DSCN2182-1.jpg

• I found this Informative 17

18 minutes ago, oyo said:

Asexual reproduction in Scleractian Pattalophyllia corals. Eocene inf. Ilerdian from South Pyrenean basin.

8.jpg

Nice photos of coral reproduction even though the above photo is rather dirty (and could benefit from a little clean up with hydrogen peroxide).

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Nice photos of coral reproduction even though the above photo is rather dirty (and could benefit from a little clean up with hydrogen peroxide).

That photograph was taken in situ. The specimen is already clean and did not need more than soaking and gentle brushing.B)

• I found this Informative 1

Those are super-awesome!!!  They would be great to show in a biology class when learning about asexual reproduction :Smiling:

• I found this Informative 3

Very cool to see the different stages of the reproduction process. Thanks for sharing! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Does anyone know if corals reproduce by laying eggs like fish spawn or by so to speak or by  dividing into two? Crinoids? 

5 hours ago, oyo said:

the beginning:

2.jpg

Do you keep these together in a display? Maybe a Riker box? Thank you for sharing this wonderful, informative collection.

Your "beginning" polyp looks like fireworks on New Year's Eve. Or maybe the Big Bang. :)

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice!  But then, I do love corals :wub:.

Don

2 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Stunning collection    :wub:

2 hours ago, jeannie55 said:

I wish my corals were as lovely. Very nice indeed. 

3 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Very cool to see the different stages of the reproduction process. Thanks for sharing! :) 

4 hours ago, Gramps said:

Beautiful specimens and photos; fascinating biological processes!

4 hours ago, marguy said:

superb photos from a very educational series; Thank you for sharing!

5 hours ago, Monica said:

Those are super-awesome!!!  They would be great to show in a biology class when learning about asexual reproduction :Smiling:

5 hours ago, TqB said:

Beautiful set of specimens. :wub:

7 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Super nice specimens and very educative! Thanks for sharing!
Franz Bernhard

Thank you all very much for your kind words.

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Do you keep these together in a display? Maybe a Riker box? Thank you for sharing this wonderful, informative collection.

Your "beginning" polyp looks like fireworks on New Year's Eve. Or maybe the Big Bang. :)

No, they are not all together. Not all were collected on the same date. Each one is in a different box depending on the date of collection. These are difficult specimens to find, not always when I go to the outcrop bring some of this one at home.

• I found this Informative 1