Lake Michigan Fossil or Not

DandelionWish

Hello again! I received another trade today and was told this was a fossil found at Lake Michigan. I'm not entirely sure it's actually a fossil and I definitely don't know what it is if it does happen to be a fossil. I couldn't capture it with the camera but when I rotate it there are tiny glittery areas on some of the surface. 

small fossil or not.jpg

To my eye this looks very geologic. But I would wait for the more experienced members to pipe in.

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

9 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

To my eye this looks very geologic. But I would wait for the more experienced members to pipe in.

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing. From one angle I could see where it gives the illusion of a small alligator/reptile-like skull and that the sunken in part would be an eye socket but if she was looking at that I think she is mistaken but she didn't clarify. She just said a fossil from Lake Michigan. My other thought was maybe some type of coral and I just don't know what I'm looking at. lol

Definitely not a skull of any sort. Could be some coral but mostly looks like a piece of eroded limestone. Most fossils found around Lake Michigan are Paleozoic, but it’s a big lake with lots of glacial material, so you options for rock types are plentiful. 

• I found this Informative 1

Most items coming from the "Big Pond" are so wave tumbled it is often hard to tell what it was.  lately we have been often having 8-12 foot waves. 

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to try and help me identify it! I'm leaning towards it being nothing if you pros don't see anything either. I think I will cut it and see what's inside before I give up completely but I think she was mistaken.