Coprolite (?) found on Vancouver Island BC Canada

Kazman

Hi all.  A real Newbie here wondering if anyone can ID this as Coprolite?  It's 3" in length and weighs 100 grams (it's hard as rock).  I found it amongst all the rocks on the beach on the eastern coast of the island (Georgia Straight side).  Does that mean that it may have come from an ancient sea creature?    Thanks for any info.  Cheers!

f51z6iqhj3x51.jpg

f2rt2cqhj3x51.jpg

Edited by Kazman
added photo

...not saying they are the same thing, and to tell the truth we do not yet know what that was, but I find a resemblance, especially because of the spiral pattern on the surface, with the object we were discussing here.

ciao

2 hours ago, supertramp said:

...not saying they are the same thing, and to tell the truth we do not yet know what that was, but I find a resemblance, especially because of the spiral pattern on the surface, with the object we were discussing here.

ciao

131330594_10157356864595771_4151859060185561250_n.jpg.a8cdf4d29f944f2228280ef17fdab83a.jpgWow! you may be on to something here as it does remind me of the item in that thread, especially the texture and hints of gold flecks (?) in it.  I will take some more photos showing that better.  Thanks :)

2nd for corroded cable. (wire rope to be more precise)

I often see it around the dredge spoils areas I frequent.

Wire Rope Cross-sections – Jeff Thompson

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, darrow said:

corroded cable. (wire rope to be more precise)

Perhaps formerly wire rope to be a touch more precise ? I have seen iron that literally graded into a modern day iron oxide cemented conglomerate, so I won't argue against it. 

Most of the "former wire rope" pieces (and Pleistocene fossils) I come across are chopped into pieces up to about 6 inches long which I attribute to their encounter with a suction dredge cutter head.  If you look closely below you can see pieces of cable, rope, even pieces of chain in the cutter head.      https://www.callanmarineltd.com/fleet   

5ff238ed9f3be_GeneralPatton-85.thumb.jpg.6034c565c41975e867752943a0318d0a.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

We find lots of small pieces of the less precise cable on the beaches here. These chunks are from the long history of logging here on the coast.

Cephalopods rule!!

I now believe that this is a chunk of cable as suggested.  Attaching a couple more photos (close-up) that show bits of a gold metallic substance in it and... (drum roll;) ...the item is  magnetic! 

Thanks again for the input :)   At least now anyone in the household that I show it too isn't afraid of touching it.. thinking it's dinosaur poop :dinosmile:.

Cable2.jpg

Cable1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:44 AM, Rockwood said:

It has an interesting shape and texture. I think it may be worth summonsing expert assistance.

@GeschWhat @Carl 

I'm a bit late to the game But I agree that it looks like corroded cable.

I agree that's an artifact.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library