Ramanessin or Big Brook for First NJ Cretaceous Hunt?

bthemoose

I’m thinking about heading up to NJ tomorrow for my first Cretaceous hunt, and would love any advice from more experienced members, both generally and for this time of year (other than dressing for the cold of course). I was thinking Ramanessin as I’ve read here that it’s better for shark teeth, but I’m open to Big Brook as well if you think it’s better for a first trip.

Along the Calvert Cliffs I mostly surface collect—is that also an effective strategy at Ramanessin and/or Big Brook, or is sifting likely to produce better results?

Any advice on where to enter/park would also be helpful. If I do go to Ramanessin, I’ve read that there’s limited parking on Holmdel-Middletown Road across from the elementary school (I’m assuming parking at the school itself will be a no-go since it’s a school day, though I’m not sure if they’re doing in-person classes).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

If there are gravel banks, surface collecting is effective at both brooks, I wouldn't advise sifting right now as the water is probably freezing. I prefer Ramanessin personally, I've found far more teeth there than I have at Big Brook. 

• I found this Informative 1

Advice? Wait for warmer weather...  Or as suggested expect to only do surface collecting although it may be a challenge to get from one gravel bar to the next without getting in that cold water.

But I would start with Big Brook. Parking is easier and otherwise easier to get into.  The Hillsdale Road parking entrance gives you good access. 

I haven't been there in 15 years but back then I randomly hit both creeks and I randomly did well at both. Every time folks said one was "collected out" I still found cool stuff. And on occasion both skunked me.  I found great fossils both surface collecting as well as screening the gravel.  Screening was easier at Big Brook but I worked both with success.

Good luck and try and stay warm.

17 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

If there are gravel banks, surface collecting is effective at both brooks, I wouldn't advise sifting right now as the water is probably freezing. I prefer Ramanessin personally, I've found far more teeth there than I have at Big Brook. 

Thank you! I left the sifter at home and ended up going to both Big Brook and Ramanessin today. I had generally better luck at the latter. Most of what I found was pretty small and broken, but for my first NJ fossil hunt, I feel like I made out okay. My favorite find is below--a pretty decent Enchodus fang from Big Brook. I'll try to get a few more pics up in a trip report.

5ff4e60467326_IMG_3097(1).thumb.jpeg.7bacb7108b200e0073b36d93c682c429.jpeg

4 hours ago, erose said:

Advice? Wait for warmer weather...  Or as suggested expect to only do surface collecting although it may be a challenge to get from one gravel bar to the next without getting in that cold water.

But I would start with Big Brook. Parking is easier and otherwise easier to get into.  The Hillsdale Road parking entrance gives you good access. 

I haven't been there in 15 years but back then I randomly hit both creeks and I randomly did well at both. Every time folks said one was "collected out" I still found cool stuff. And on occasion both skunked me.  I found great fossils both surface collecting as well as screening the gravel.  Screening was easier at Big Brook but I worked both with success.

Good luck and try and stay warm.

Thanks--I enjoyed it. I hope to make it back up later in the year as well, but I had some time off today and wanted to try a new-to-me spot. I brought my chest waders and dressed warmly underneath so the water temperatures weren't too bad (similar to the wading I've been doing in the Chesapeake Bay this time of year, maybe a few degrees cooler). I did start at Big Brook because the parking seemed easier but decided to head over to Ramanessin midway through as I wasn't finding a ton of exposed gravel at Big Brook.