Calcanay

Hello! I got this dinosaur vertebra from Hell Creek (Montana) a few years back. It was sold to me as a Triceratops vertebra but I don't know how that ID was made. It's not in the best condition (has moss(?) on it and has been broken and then glued back together) but it is about 13-14 centimetres across so it is clearly from a big dinosaur, but there were plenty of those in Hell Creek (even two large ceratopsids - Triceratops and Torosaurus). Looking for any insight into how an ID could be made here and if Triceratops (or even just ceratopsid) is correct :)

5ff31e7293641_vert1.thumb.jpg.c371e98719a8054ac600781e9aa63ef8.jpg5ff31e762e708_vert3.thumb.jpg.ee79527edcc1f7a2e8a518b0918c1b4a.jpg5ff31e744a7ad_vert2.thumb.jpg.99174ea0fc3998c84787407504e58164.jpg

Edited by Calcanay

I think ceratopsian is a good ID on this.  It has a very round shape (third photo) which is typical.  Hadrosaurs are less round and T rex has a  very different internal texture.  The third large dinno option is an ankylosaur.  they are rare enough and I do not know much about the bottom edge of ankylosaur verts.  (That orange stuff is lichen, not moss).  

• I found this Informative 3

On 2021-01-04 at 5:17 PM, jpc said:

I think ceratopsian is a good ID on this.  It has a very round shape (third photo) which is typical.  Hadrosaurs are less round and T rex has a  very different internal texture.  The third large dinno option is an ankylosaur.  they are rare enough and I do not know much about the bottom edge of ankylosaur verts.  (That orange stuff is lichen, not moss).  

Thank you for taking a look! So (assuming it's not of ankylosaur origin), something like "Ceratopsidae indet." would be an appropriate formal label here? Shame that the seller didn't specify where in Hell Creek it was found since the different ceratopsids are quasi-separated stratigraphically, but what can you do.

40 minutes ago, Calcanay said:

Thank you for taking a look! So (assuming it's not of ankylosaur origin), something like "Ceratopsidae indet." would be an appropriate formal label here? Shame that the seller didn't specify where in Hell Creek it was found since the different ceratopsids are quasi-separated stratigraphically, but what can you do.

yes.  Until I see further proof, I am not sold on the two genera being stratigraphically separate.  

52 minutes ago, jpc said:

yes.  Until I see further proof, I am not sold on the two genera being stratigraphically separate.  

Was just going off what I read in the Wikipedia article (though maybe that's not the best source). I'll stick with Ceratopsidae indet. either way. Thank you!