Calcanay

Here is another fossil I have trouble seeing how an ID was made, from Kem Kem in Morocco. This was sold to me as a bone from a Spinosaurus, but is this identifiable as coming from Spinsaurus or even a dinosaur at all? It's clearly from a quite large animal as it measures 7-8 centimetres (2.75-3.15 inches; depending on how you count) long and isn't even complete, so perhaps that is indicative of dinosaurian origin at least? Or could it possibly alternatively have come from one of the crocodylomorphs in Kem Kem? Is there anything about this that confidently places it as coming from a dinosaur? Could it's location in the skeleton be inferred or is it too fragmentary? Thanks in advance :)

5ff31f83cff28_bone1.thumb.jpg.90b67dfcaa1c20dec4e3e5fb26eb68b0.jpg5ff31f8739140_bone2.thumb.jpg.072e5d99d3c97d3ce53d3193bdf7f174.jpg5ff31f8a325d4_bone3.thumb.jpg.81c20d33f1049dfb8bb2fb9dc36d22e3.jpg

Spinosaurs have pretty dense bones. And this is pretty dense as well. But other than that this really has very little in terms of identifiable features.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 2021-01-04 at 4:00 PM, LordTrilobite said:

Spinosaurs have pretty dense bones. And this is pretty dense as well. But other than that this really has very little in terms of identifiable features.

Thank you for taking a look. Yeah, that's what I guessed. Are there other Kem Kem animals with pretty dense bones? The portions of the "exterior" preserved here are pretty rounded but I suppose that doesn't really help in placing what the bone actually is.

1 hour ago, Calcanay said:

Are there other Kem Kem animals with pretty dense bones?

Crocs.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

6 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Crocs.

Ah, right. Guess this one can't really be pinpointed any further than "Archosauria indet.", then.