Mammoth, Elephant, or Rhino fossil?

VAfossilguy

Good afternoon everyone,

Im looking to possibly buy this unique and large fossil. Just not exactly sure what it is. It’s from Indonesia. 

F5AC50F3-5DFD-4FC4-9256-9E8C8E1C5E6C.jpeg

It appears to be the same seller in this thread,

The verdict was carved

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

If didn’t know any better I’d say a giant croc tooth. Lol It checks a lot of boxes for a fossil tooth or tusk though...

While this one looks slightly more convincing than the previous examples; the previous examples were so bad that I’d stay well clear of this at any price

Yeah, that’s why I came here to ask the experts. I’m pretty good at picking out fakes, but this one checked most boxes I look for as far as real. On one hand would be relieved to know I passed on a fake, but would kick myself if found out it was a real fossil. Interestingly enough, this fossil came up in conversation about other fossils besides Megs with a guy I trust and deal with that I’ve bought several real, good quality teeth from. He told me about it and said that it had actually been bought locally by another fossil collector/dealer he knows directly from the fossil “farmer” pictured holding it. If I found out it was real and what it was he said he would inquire about possibly buying it on my behalf.

It might be useful to compare these to known wooly rhino horns. For example, see the following figure from: Chernova, O. F., & Kirillova, I. V. (2010). New data on horn morphology of the woolly rhinoceros (Coelodonta antiquitatis Blumenbach, 1799). Proceedings of the zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of sciences, 314(3), 333-342.

The-horns-of-the-Wooly-Rhinoceros-Coelodonta-antiquitatis-from-the-Ice-Age-Museum_W640.jpg

There are more photos in this article:

http://www.rhinoresourcecenter.com/pdf_files/131/1313208377.pdf

Using the above as a starting point, the specimen you posted looks very much like a carved fantasy piece. 

Was leaning a little more towards small mammoth or elephant tusk. I’ve seen verified examples of fossilized tusks that are similar such as pictured. I still agree that yes is probably a fake. If anyone else has some more examples that they could point out on this item that proves it’s illegitimacy please share, because I love educating myself and others on the finer details of spotting real vs fake fossils. Thanks for any further input...

3FC3DCD7-C5D3-4D9E-B835-471DF174D6EB.jpeg

the white material in the base of the item does not look like bone to me, nor does the central hollow space look biological.

If you are thinking tusk. I would be very careful. Tusks are large modified teeth. In elephant and mammoth whatever you normally see is all dentin   Not a normal tooth with a crown with a  layer of enamel on top of dentin and dentin root without enamel. The ivory =dentin is the solid tusk. The open apical   edge is inside the jaw bone. Maxillary jaw bone might be found around the apical portion but not growing into the tusk.