More megs incoming

kingcobb

Well after I tracked down and got my long pursued T Rex tooth in 2019(it's posted here somewhere)  I took a bit of a break from fossils till recently.  I have several new nice Megs coming my way from a variety of locals.  Also have a huge ammonite I need to pickup.

Will post them when I get them but this one is here already so I will share it.

It isn't a perfect tooth but I think it looks astounding.  I wasn't certain it was legit...thought a repair was possible, so I offered a low price on it and shockingly the seller accepted.

Well lack light inspection, comparing it to my other teeth, and going over it witha pick and a comb and she appears to be legit.

Seller said Phillipines though I guess it could be Cuban.  Not truly concerned on origin I just love the look of the enamel on this tooth.  Has the point and serrations as well.  Really pleased with this one.

20210105_165928_copy_1008x1344.jpg

20210105_165940_copy_1008x1344.jpg

20210105_165957_copy_1008x756.jpg

20210105_170008_copy_1008x756.jpg

20210105_170012_copy_1008x756.jpg

20210105_170027_copy_1008x756.jpg

20210105_170023_copy_1008x756.jpg

Very nice tooth, especially the blade.

Congrats!

Regarding the location, I’m almost certain it’s from Indonesia.

Regards

Nice tooth, and looks great. I m not an expert on sharkteeth but why do you say it probably from Cuba? Oops, crossing messages! What are the parameters for the location?

greetings Walter

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

It probably is indonesian. I have just seen some similarly white colored teeth from Cuba.  But they are more bleached white looking as I recall.

Gotta nice looking blade but shame the root didn't preserve very well. Some of our members have been real wizards with PaleoSculpt reconstructing an appropriate root in an attempt to restore it to its former stature. Some folks like them all natural and some don't mind buffing up an inexpensive worn tooth with a little artistry to make a real shower. Both positions have their merit. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

Thx, yeah I have read some of those threads on here.

I tend to like the natural look.  I find the enamel astounding on this one.

My two cents, if you found it don't repair it. I always like when the serrations are still razor sharp. It has a beautiful color. 

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

Indeed. I pretty much only collect fossils that I have found myself (or a few given to me by friends). Those might get a bit of prep to clean them up but generally no more than that. We have some members who have posted really interesting topics showing inexpensive fossils purchased online that were either a bit incomplete or "repaired" with little talent. Some of our members have wicked awesome artistic stills and I've seen things like badly botched Spinosaurus teeth that have had the poor quality repairs removed and "restored" to beautiful examples. These members have promised to use their superpowers only for good and never evil. :P They said they could never afford expensive pristine quality specimens for their collection but wanted some nice showy pieces and had the skills to make some real silk purses out of sow's ears (so to speak). People collect for different reasons--some want beautiful fossils for a display case and some only want reminders of fun times collecting in the field. :)

Cheers.

-Ken