FLORIDA FOSSILS I HAVE FOUND SO FAR

FloridaLemonShark13

heres some photos of finds i have found at my local creek in pinellas county, FL decent finds for what was left behind, theres a lot to be explored over in the area and its a good site so im gonna work it for a while and see if anything important shows up:horseshoecrab:

IMG_3790.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Neat finds! 

Glyptodont scutes are pretty cool. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Very cool! Glyptodont osteroderms are one of the favorite things to spot in my sifting screen when hunting.

1 hour ago, FloridaLemonShark13 said:

theres a lot to be explored over in the area and its a good site so im gonna work it for a while and see if anything important shows up

That's the way to do it. Looking forward to seeing more. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

9 hours ago, digit said:

Very cool! Glyptodont osteroderms are one of the favorite things to spot in my sifting screen when hunting.

That's the way to do it. Looking forward to seeing more. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

yessir hoping for some horse teeth and some larger shark teeth

They will come in time. You are likely in a good fossil area (may even be a honey hole) if you are finding glypto-bits. Fossil results are proportional to the effort expended +/- luck. ;)

In addition to things that will be pretty obvious (shark teeth) some Florida fossils can be a bit enigmatic till you learn what they are. The guy who got me started with Florida fossil hunting (guide Mark Renz) told us to keep anything that looked biological and show it to him. We can always toss back any oddly shaped geological bits but it is hard to recover a rare and ambiguous bit once you've chucked it back into the river. We were out with a fossil hunting group and when Mark came by to see if we had anything questionable to show him I pulled out an odd piece that looked too biological to be just a geologic oddity. Turned out to be a (small) whale tympanic bulla (ear bone). Taught me the importance of saving interesting bits and showing them to people further up the learning curve. That being said, nature produces some pretty weird shapes sometimes that have nothing to do with biology and you'll have to accept with good grace that a lot of your first "interesting" finds may turn out to be nothing but odd rocks. :)

There is a wide variety of marine, freshwater, and terrestrial fossils that can be found (usually all jumbled together) at many Florida fossil hunting sites like the Peace River. As a result there is a huge diversity of finds that are possible. Post images here for ID and consider picking up some Florida fossil guide books which are a good education.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

5 hours ago, digit said:

They will come in time. You are likely in a good fossil area (may even be a honey hole) if you are finding glypto-bits. Fossil results are proportional to the effort expended +/- luck. ;)

In addition to things that will be pretty obvious (shark teeth) some Florida fossils can be a bit enigmatic till you learn what they are. The guy who got me started with Florida fossil hunting (guide Mark Renz) told us to keep anything that looked biological and show it to him. We can always toss back any oddly shaped geological bits but it is hard to recover a rare and ambiguous bit once you've chucked it back into the river. We were out with a fossil hunting group and when Mark came by to see if we had anything questionable to show him I pulled out an odd piece that looked too biological to be just a geologic oddity. Turned out to be a (small) whale tympanic bulla (ear bone). Taught me the importance of saving interesting bits and showing them to people further up the learning curve. That being said, nature produces some pretty weird shapes sometimes that have nothing to do with biology and you'll have to accept with good grace that a lot of your first "interesting" finds may turn out to be nothing but odd rocks. :)

There is a wide variety of marine, freshwater, and terrestrial fossils that can be found (usually all jumbled together) at many Florida fossil hunting sites like the Peace River. As a result there is a huge diversity of finds that are possible. Post images here for ID and consider picking up some Florida fossil guide books which are a good education.

Cheers.

-Ken

ive read marks books its pretty good info for florida thanks!