Peace River Teeth and a Few Verts

Allosaurus

I bought these among others a few years back. I went looking through them today and realized I wasn't sure on these pieces. Peace River Fm, Florida. 

2021-01-05-18-45-41.jpg

2021-01-05-18-44-54.jpg

2021-01-05-18-44-07.jpg

Though I'm more than open to being corrected ;) I'll start the ball rolling on these. You might consider editing your posts and tossing in some numbers so have a reference for each and don't get confused. I think I can tell which groups are photos of the same piece.

#1 From the size I'm going to guess that it is White Tail Deer (which are still in Florida today).

#2 Half the crown of a tapir molar

#3 Half a tapir molar with root

#4 (clearer photos would help--especially of the occlusal surface)

#5 Could be a small whale (dolphin) tooth but could use a view from the top to see the overall occlusal shape

#6 Complete crown of a tapir molar

#7 Carnivore carnassial (possibly Dire Wolf?)

"Verts" (L to R):

#1: Likely gator vert

#2 Part of an astragalus (leg bone)

#3 Hard to tell but also possibly leg bone related and not vert

#4 Would have to see from other angles but possibly a whale vert centrum

Cheers.

-Ken

8 minutes ago, digit said:

Though I'm more than open to being corrected ;) I'll start the ball rolling on these. You might consider editing your posts and tossing in some numbers so have a reference for each and don't get confused. I think I can tell which groups are photos of the same piece.

#1 From the size I'm going to guess that it is White Tail Deer (which are still in Florida today).

#2 Half the crown of a tapir molar

#3 Half a tapir molar with root

#4 (clearer photos would help--especially of the occlusal surface)

#5 Could be a small whale (dolphin) tooth but could use a view from the top to see the overall occlusal shape

#6 Complete crown of a tapir molar

#7 Carnivore carnassial (possibly Dire Wolf?)

"Verts" (L to R):

#1: Likely gator vert

#2 Part of an astragalus (leg bone)

#3 Hard to tell but also possibly leg bone related and not vert

#4 Would have to see from other angles but possibly a whale vert centrum

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you; I added numbers to each post to make it a bit more clear. I'll take some better photos tomorrow, hopefully there'll be a little sunlight. 

1 hour ago, Allosaurus said:

2021-01-05-18-31-19.jpg

2021-01-05-18-29-32.jpg

Carnivore, for sure. I’d say big cat-possibly puma concolor. It’s a carnassial, but I’m not positive on the exact position, I don’t have a dentition to go off of.

9 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

Thank you; I added numbers to each post to make it a bit more clear. I'll take some better photos tomorrow, hopefully there'll be a little sunlight. 

ON #7, this is an interesting older thread.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/110765-another-interesting-beach-find/

Even though broken, the most interesting measurement is the length of the enamel surface:

Carnassialw.thumb.JPG.3762d33bd32ce67dafff9e7e16503852.JPG

On # 5, One of @Harry Pristis great pictures is definitely a possibility.

LongBeakedDolphinTeeth.jpg.681c5a92384c94121e76f244f685bd2f.jpg.4f2024c76fd8ab3494ab8196a60f7dd1.jpg

Very Nice finds.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Looks like your #7 is a left lower M1 to me, a bit worn but has the right dimensions and diagnostic features compared to one from my collection

5ff5db0e3a692_Cdirusleftm1.jpg.689bf0b067d12fd668a4b7a3d2cb5386.jpg

Sorry for the late reply everyone. It was a pretty dreary day yesterday, which meant poor lighting for taking photographs. Thank you to everyone who has commented thus far. I'm very excited about these pieces, especially the possible dire wolf and dolphin tooth. I never expected those out of the box I bought. 

@Shellseeker The carnassial crown length is about 22mm. 

First up is an additional photo of the possible dolphin tooth. It really does look quite similar to the photo posted above. 

2021-01-07-09-26-49.jpg

Mystery bone #3 is certainly a vert of some sort.

Tooth #4 appears to be half of a camelid tooth.

The possible whale vert is small enough that it could also be from some sort of other mammal. When you have a vert from Florida that is as big as a coffee can you can pretty much rule out most things other than whales (or mammoths). Possibly @Boesse might be able to comment on the potential whale vert which looks like it would be from a smaller dolphin size whale if that is indeed what it is.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

54 minutes ago, Allosaurus said:

Sorry for the late reply everyone. It was a pretty dreary day yesterday, which meant poor lighting for taking photographs. Thank you to everyone who has commented thus far. I'm very excited about these pieces, especially the possible dire wolf and dolphin tooth. I never expected those out of the box I bought. 

@Shellseeker The carnassial crown length is about 22mm. 

First up is an additional photo of the possible dolphin tooth. It really does look quite similar to the photo posted above. 

I think the tooth from @Lorne Ledger is definitive. Your tooth is a lower left m1 of a Dire Wolf.

Equally, unless a new voice chimes in, you have a tooth from a large Kentriodontidae Dolphin.

The whale vert is likely too small to be whale ,  It is a juvenile because the Epiphysis is not fused. You could search for "Epiphysis" on this forum. LOTS of mammals have Epiphysis bones that fuse as they age.  Most likely your vert is dolphin.

image.png.f6ee81d0d67e65c39117e0bd081bca30.png

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"