Dentalium agassizi (keasey formation, Eocene)

OregonFossil

I think I've found my "home" here. I have well over 50 pieces (a couple are large - 10-25 pounds) of formation that I've collected over the last three months to "investigate". Mostly sandstone and what I think is deep water mudstone (thought it was shale at first but no layering). Will try the Hydrogen Peroxide to dissolve the sandstones but am at a loss for the mudstones. the mudstones are extremely hard but contain lots of micro deep water (>200 meters) fossils. Any advice?

I've included an image in the what I think is a softer mudstone higher up in the Keasy. This is juvenile  Dentalium agassizi (20mm in Length) I believe but after a 30 year break I've just gotten back into the game and may be erroneous in my ID. Interesting point is that specimens of Dentalium agassizi were used as the "wampum" of the North American Pacific Coast tribes (have a long PDF on it if any one is interested (Phd thesis I found).

Dentalium agassizi.jpg

Edited by OregonFossil
  • I found this Informative 1

Nice find. As a word of warning, the Dentaliums I find in our Cretaceous are extremely brittle.  In case you need to know.  

Yes they are:). These sandstones and mudstones where I find them are not layered and since most are deeply included (as well has hidden) its always a risk when you use "the hammer":)

The Eocene is such a youngster when compared to the Cretaceous that perhaps these are not as brittle. Thanks for the advice, but I am learning quickly to leave some in the matrix.