Please help with an ID

Bobby Rico

Hi all

I been asked by someone who is a little shy and new to fossils. They got themselves a auction lot of fossils but sadly no locations or ID info . I have helped with most of the lots but I would like a second opinion on these two items and vertebra . Thank you all Bobby.

u1.jpg

u2.jpg

u3.jpg

u5.jpg

u6.jpg

u7.jpg

vert 1.jpg

vet 2.jpg

vet 3.jpg

vet4.jpg

Hi Bobby.  That first one looks like a big chunk of bone from the Morrison Formation.  It looks like it's been sliced and polished.

Have no idea what the second is, and the vertebra looks recent (probably Pleistocene).

• I found this Informative 2

37 minutes ago, DinoFossilsUK said:

Hi Bobby.  That first one looks like a big chunk of bone from the Morrison Formation.  It looks like it's been sliced and polished.

Have no idea what the second is, and the vertebra looks recent (probably Pleistocene).

Thanks much appreciated I thought the same that it is bone . The little piece I don’t what it is. 

Thanks for your help and stay safe and sound Bobby 

On 10/01/2021 at 10:01 AM, TqB said:

@Bobby Rico The second one reminds me of Ediacaran Cyclomedusa. Possibly an artificial cast?

Thanks Tarquin it does indeed. It is definitely a cast plenty of air bubbles. I hope you and yours are safe and sound. Cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

The large vertebrae looks probuscan, wholly mammoth? If there are rib attachment points on the side it would be thoracic, if not, lumbar.

• I found this Informative 3

The first fossil, to me, looks like some kind of proximal articulation surface of a humerus or femur - from what, I wouldn't dare guess (though, based on size: dinosaurian) - with the articulation surface consistently illustrated on the bottom. The rugose patterning observed there is very reminiscent of what I'm used to seeing on marine reptile - especially plesiosaurian - propodial bones, though obviously the triangular shape, when laying the bone on a flat surface, doesn't match. Still, I'd say a section of one of the major long bones of a giant animal.

36 minutes ago, fossilus said:

The large vertebrae looks probuscan, wholly mammoth? If there are rib attachment points on the side it would be thoracic, if not, lumbar.

Same idea I had...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

5 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks Tarquin it does indeed. It is definitely a cast plenty of air bubbles. I hope you and yours are safe and sound. Cheers Bobby 

We're fine, thanks, Bobby. I trust and hope you all are too. :)

Tarquin

10 minutes ago, TqB said:

We're fine, thanks, Bobby. I trust and hope you all are too. :)

Just ridding out the storm my friend . :SlapHands:

• I found this Informative 1