Wood and Bark from Colombia

ColombianFossils

Hi all, I found a number of wood fossils in a recent trip to Villa de Leyva, Colombia. I'm not sure of the period as there are a wide variety of geological bands in the area. I have the feeling the lined fossils are Calamites but would appreciate some help confirming and potentially identifying the others. Thanks in advance

IMG_20210107_222728_compress20.jpg

IMG_20210107_222740_compress80.jpg

IMG_20210107_222759_compress58.jpg

IMG_20210107_222819_compress31.jpg

IMG_20210107_222812_compress19.jpg

IMG_20210107_222859_compress22.jpg

Sorry. I'm not convinced that these are fossils. You should wait for other responses from folks who know the area better though.

The second photo is very similar looking to the cortex layer of the lycopod Sigillaria. From the other views I think it represents layering in a sedimentary rock however.

• I found this Informative 1

Hey there, thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I hadn't considered it being a sedimentary rock, that could well be the case. The reason I thought they were Calamites was the similarities in the lines with these pics I pulled off Google (included another one of those two for clarity). There don't seem to be any of those lovely patterns that you would normally see with Sigillaria. 

The bottom two rocks in the main pics I was never sure of to be honest, but there were very similar ones next to them that seemed to make up an entire tree which is why I thought I'd hold on to them. For me the middle left is most convincing as it really seems like bark, I'd be really interested to see what everyone has to say.

Calamites_sp.1_-_Carbonifero_compress26.jpg

IMG_20201216_131834_compress28.jpg

112773-43.jpg

The key to making the distinction would be seen in the end view. The photo of calamites is a pith cast. As such there would be no noticeable layering in the center of most specimens. In your piece the layering seems to cross the end sectional view as would be expected in dislocated fragments of sedimentary strata.

• I found this Informative 3

4 hours ago, ColombianFossils said:

I hadn't considered it being a sedimentary rock,

That's the very first thing you have to consider, since fossils can almost always only be found in sedimentary rocks.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The key to making the distinction would be seen in the end view. The photo of calamites is a pith cast. As such there would be no noticeable layering in the center of most specimens. In your piece the layering seems to cross the end sectional view as would be expected in dislocated fragments of sedimentary strata.

Ah right I see! Yes as you say it does seem to cross the end so must be sedimentary thank you. 

Could I ask your opinion on this piece? To me it appears to have more of a grainy structure but paleobotany/fossilised wood is all new to me so still getting my eye in. Thanks

IMG_20210108_102029_compress32.jpg

IMG_20210108_102052_compress29.jpg

IMG_20210108_102109_compress88.jpg

:SadSmile: Sorry again. If wood casts are known to be found in the area I wouldn't rule that out, but I see no clear indication that this is wood.

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

:SadSmile: Sorry again. If wood casts are known to be found in the area I wouldn't rule that out, but I see no clear indication that this is wood.

Ah not to worry. Yes the hills there are supposed to be full of fossilised wood and ammonites which is why I picked these ones up. Ho hum, I'll keep my eyes open and see what turns up on the next trip :D

I did find this nice little ammonite negative so that will keep me going until next time :ighappy:

IMG_20210108_120601_compress74.jpg

IMG_20201213_221716_compress52.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

37 minutes ago, ColombianFossils said:

I did find this nice little ammonite negative

That's one more than I've ever found.

Notice the similarity to the putative wood structure seen here ? Layered concretion, or possibly lysegang banding, or both.