El Fósil and Paleontological Investigation Centre

ColombianFossils

A recent trip to the museum of El Fósil (an enormous Cronosaurus still in place!) And the Centre for Paleontological Investigations in Villa de Leyva, Colombia. They had a great selection of heteromorphic ammonites, icthyosaurs (including the only one in the world with the eye intact) giant ancient turtles and many more. I can provide more pics if you are interested

IMG_20201213_100438_compress6.jpg

IMG_20201213_110036_compress65.jpg

IMG_20201213_110057_compress6.jpg

IMG_20201213_110027_compress22.jpg

IMG_20201213_102214_compress90.jpg

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, ColombianFossils said:

including the only one in the world with the eye intact

Thanks for sharing. The heteromorph ammonites are of particular interest to me. But the above assertion is completely false, since a lot of British and German Ichthyosaurs display the sclerotic rings in the eyes. Or do you mean that the organic substance of the eye itself is preserved? That would be a one in a million find. I was going by the one in the second photo.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

3 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Thanks for sharing. The heteromorph ammonites are of particular interest to me. But the above assertion is completely false, since a lot of British and German Ichthyosaurs display the sclerotic rings in the eyes. Or do you mean that the organic substance of the eye itself is preserved? That would be a one in a million find. I was going by the one in the second photo.

Hi there, sorry that's what they told me at the museum so I took it at face value. I'll see if I have any more pics of the heteromorphs for you 

• I found this Informative 1

I also would love to see more photos, especially of the ammonites :wub: :wub: :wub: and any other invertebrates if they are on display.  The vertebrates are cool too of course :wub:.  Is it possible/legal to collect such fossils as a private individual in Columbia?

Don

39 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I also would love to see more photos, especially of the ammonites :wub: :wub: :wub: and any other invertebrates if they are on display.  The vertebrates are cool too of course :wub:.  Is it possible/legal to collect such fossils as a private individual in Columbia?

Don

Hi Don, I've got some more here for you! It is legal, the only restriction here is that they can't be sold as they are very keen on preserving their history here. 

IMG_20201213_102425_compress96.jpg

IMG_20201213_102229_compress62.jpg

IMG_20201213_102220_compress90.jpg

IMG_20201213_102209_compress2.jpg

IMG_20201213_101908_compress15.jpg

IMG_20201213_101851_compress43.jpg

IMG_20201213_101854_compress24.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Fossil Forum field trip to Colombia!  I hear the birdwatching is great too (that is what my Costa Rican bird guide told me).  

I had the same reaction as Ludwigia about the ichthyosaur eye.  

2 hours ago, jpc said:

Fossil Forum field trip to Colombia!  I hear the birdwatching is great too (that is what my Costa Rican bird guide told me).  

I had the same reaction as Ludwigia about the ichthyosaur eye.  

Haha I'd be happy to arrange such a trip! 

Yes a great variety of birds here, especially in the Amazonas region. If you ever get the chance, fly to Leticia and then you will be in the heart of the undisturbed Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...