Chris Anderson

My wife Nicole found this nice size sharks tooth today on North Myrtle Beach. All the enamel is worn off and the left side of the gum is missing. It would have been wonderful if she would have found it in good condition but still a exciting find! We hope all of y'all are finding alot too

IMG_20210108_205303.jpg

I would rule out a dermal scute and not convinced this is a tooth.  More pictures of the other side might help.  I don't se any indication of enamel on the piece found.  It may just be a suggestively shaped rock.

Don't think it's a scute or a tooth. I however do think it could be a chunk of bone, but cannot say from what. 

P.S. "gum" is fleshy and not a part of a tooth. I think you're referring to (what looks like) the root lobes.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

A few more clear photos would help us get a better idea of the fossil.

I've found a few very worn teeth which somewhat resemble what you have. The texture where the proposed root would be seems very similar to that which I see in my own shark teeth. If it's not a tooth, then it's an tumbled bone of some sort. 

my vote would be a piece of mammal bone, probably cetacean

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana