Is the spinosaurus tooth for my niece real?

a_legend

Hello from Germany!

I just bought a spinosaurus tooth for my niece (she is a biiig dinosaur fan) online and just wanted to ask you about your opinion. The seller told me before buying that this tooth is glued and repaired. I knew it before and that is no problem to me. I just wanted to make sure that the tooth is real. It is not my target to get one that is NOT repaired.

What are your thoughts about this tooth? Is it real? Is it in a good condition? Do you have some information for me?

Would be really grateful to get some of your opinions. I have 30 days to send the tooth back in case all of you say that it is a fake. :)

Thanks a million in advance! 

Best regards

André

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

It looks like it's a composite made up of three parts of different spinosaur teeth. Notice the grey brown lumpy looking material. The tip is real, the middle is real and the bottom is real. But, they all likely do not belong together. The greyish brown material is a mix of local sand and glue to hide the gaps. Its colour is a bit different from some of the sediment on the bottom part and it's colouration is also very homogeneous.
See how the curve of the tooth suddenly makes a jump in the middle? That's a clear indication that the tip does not belong to the middle section either.

• I found this Informative 2

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

composite doesn't mean fake. It just wasn't found like this. They took parts from separate real teeth and glued them together to make a "whole" tooth

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Sorry for misunderstanding, spinosaurus teeth are most of the time not entirely fake, if they were to put the time into making a fake they would make a much larger, rarer item. 

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

6 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

It looks like it's a composite made up of three parts of different spinosaur teeth. Notice the grey brown lumpy looking material. The tip is real, the middle is real and the bottom is real. But, they all likely do not belong together. The greyish brown material is a mix of local sand and glue to hide the gaps. Its colour is a bit different from some of the sediment on the bottom part and it's colouration is also very homogeneous.
See how the curve of the tooth suddenly makes a jump in the middle? That's a clear indication that the tip does not belong to the middle section either.

:DittoSign:

1 minute ago, a_legend said:

@Praefectus I am sorry but what do you mean by „+1“? :) 

Sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to indicate that I also believe the tooth is composite. +1 meaning "add my opinion to ___ side."

14 minutes ago, a_legend said:

@Top Trilo and @Pemphixthanks for taking time for looking at my photos! Have a great Saturday night. 

You too

Agree, composite tooth, much for the same reasons as originally mentioned by Olof. As Top Trilo mentioned, Spinosaurus sp. teeth from Morocco are currently found ubiquitous enough to not fetch very high prices and thus not be worth too much of an investment of time in faking - though I do have the feeling there are more composites on the market these days than a couple of years back. A composite is not a fake, but has been composed of various parts of real teeth. You can recognize such composites by things like jumps in size or curvature between different sections of the tooth (such as is the case with the tip of the one you posted), difference or misalignment in ornamentation (though note that misalignment may also just mean a poor repair job), or spots where repairs or joints have been covered up - either with "artificial matrix" (stone dust and glue mixture) or, less common on teeth, grinding.

For what it's worth, I would've said this is a composite comprised out of two teeth. For, though there are three break lines, the bottom two halves seem to match up (even if there's a bit of an odd bend at the bottom of the tooth).

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett