2020 - a year in review - part three (and last)- my best finds of the year - Cephalopods and gastropods

elcoincoin

Hi all,

Last part of my finds of the year.

In autumn, between lockdown 1 & and lockdown 2, we managed another 3 days hunts.

First day was spent in our usual trilobites spot, which happened to be on the way to our main destination this time.

You have already seen in my first part some of the trilos we did find on that day, which was a rather good one for me.

Day two was spent in Nanteuil quarry not far from Niort. the quarry  got mostly bajocian and aalenian. the aalenian is on the "ground of the quarry" and was mostly drown at that time of year. So Bajocian that was. An explosion had occured recently  so we had quite some material to process. Most of the ammos there have no heart, which is quite frustrating, but from time to time, you can fine a pretty one. 2 finds on that day :

Normannites sp  ammonite

large.Normannites.JPG.8f63053ff7d504732b

A huge not yet determined nautiloid (not the usual cenoceras we find there)

large.nautile-1.jpg.1eddda4aa410ce20888e

We kept going till 18h30 then it was time for a shower at the hotel and a meal at the restaurant.

• I found this Informative 4

In the morning of day 3 we drove 1 hour or so, to Saint Laon quarry. The rock there are Callovian. Lots of ammonites, but also gastropods, bivalves and brachiopods. Some layers are just litered.

Some of the finds on that day (Thanks Ludwigia for the IDs).

A Peltoceras, with not center unfortunately.

large.peltoceras.JPG.81e7950fd34b26edc74

A Reineckeia

large.5ff62dc2a8204_ammonitesaintlaon-14

some Hecticoceras:

large.5ff62d7c705c7_ammonitesaintlaon-2-

large.5ff62d74a4eaa_ammonitesaintlaon-1.

large.5ff62daa25a8f_ammonitesaintlaon-8-

large.5ff62d9aa76ae_ammonitesaintlaon-6-

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice ammonites and gastropods, especially from the Saint Laon quarry. Congratulations and thanks for posting them.