Chris Anderson

Found these this evening on mrytle Beach. I don't know what animal they come off of but they are good sized? Does anyone have any helpful information on what they come off of?

IMG_20210110_180718573_HDR.thumb.jpg.fb6d695bfe399c9b33de273d723b66fc.jpg

IMG_20210110_180651860_HDR.thumb.jpg.459b0d830aaa5709a07b67174af0bcc7.jpg

I wouldn't call them "good-sized". Small bone fragments like these are very common in coastal deposits and these seem small even among the common fragments.  Bone fragments like this generally aren't identifiable. People here often refer to them as "chunkosaurs", a phrase I've come to like. Some of them MAY be broadly identifiable by structure if you post clearer, up close pictures. For example, cetacean bone structure is usually pretty distinct but that's as far as you'd generally get.

• I found this Informative 1

I enjoy picking them up. It may not be much but it is still really cool to me. Thank you for the really helpful information.

4 minutes ago, Chris Anderson said:

I enjoy picking them up. It may not be much but it is still really cool to me. Thank you for the really helpful information.

That's what important. I quite enjoy picking them up as well. I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of bone fragments from a single dredge material site around here somewhere. I was just trying to answer your question regarding if they are "good sized".

12 hours ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

I wouldn't call them "good-sized". Small bone fragments like these are very common in coastal deposits and these seem small even among the common fragments.  Bone fragments like this generally aren't identifiable. People here often refer to them as "chunkosaurs", a phrase I've come to like. Some of them MAY be broadly identifiable by structure if you post clearer, up close pictures. For example, cetacean bone structure is usually pretty distinct but that's as far as you'd generally get.

I also like "chiplodocus" and "fragmentadon".

49 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

I also like "chiplodocus" and "fragmentadon".

Or one of my creations: speckosaurus.:)

• I found this Informative 2

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

4 minutes ago, yardrockpaleo said:

Or one of my creations: speckosaurus.:)

OOOOH! I'm stealing that one for sure!

• I found this Informative 2