Lyme Regis ‘Shales with Beef’ prep

dhiggi

I have just seen this for sale and while it could potentially be a nice addition to my daughter’s ichthyosaur collection, the attempted prep is a bit off putting. The seller says it’s on ‘calcite beef’. How difficult would it be to just tidy up those air scribe marks? I don’t see the need for any further exposure, just a bit of tidying.

Do forum rules allow me to ask what the appropriate cost of getting this done professionally would be if I didn’t fancy attempting it?

Thank you for looking 

82E581A4-0B41-4708-A777-FC9AD5219319.jpeg

15 hours ago, dhiggi said:

calcite beef’.

That’s a old and local term for fibrous calcite cements. Let’s ask our friend @Ludwigia if he has had to clean them up before. Very nice  specimen by the way but could be improved.

• I found this Informative 2

Any quotes for prep should be made via PM. ;) 

I think this would require some air abrasion to clean up the tool marks. 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would say that one of your local preppers could get that done quite quickly. If you're in Yorkshire, then there are enough of them around the corner from you.

• I found this Informative 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree... anyone with  an airabrasive cam get rid of the tools marks quite easily.  

And while we are at it, "shales with beef" has got to be one of the funniest geological names out there.  I am not sure it is an old term, though.  It is everywhere in my books about Dorset fossils.  

Just now, DanJeavs said:

Hi mate. Send me a pm and i’ll happily do it for you. 

Might be a chance there’s a few more digits in there too! Hard to tell but looks like theres a tine one near the bottom left hand side. 

On 12/01/2021 at 2:23 AM, jpc said:

I agree... anyone with  an airabrasive cam get rid of the tools marks quite easily.  

And while we are at it, "shales with beef" has got to be one of the funniest geological names out there.  I am not sure it is an old term, though.  It is everywhere in my books about Dorset fossils.  

It’s such a weird name haha. You seen tonnes of flattened unprepable ammos im that stuff. 

17 hours ago, DanJeavs said:

Hi mate. Send me a pm and i’ll happily do it for you. 

Thanks Dan, my daughter decided against it though. I’ve been selling off all the Lego that she no longer plays with so she’s got a small fortune to spend on Ichthyosaur. She seems determined to keep it for our now annual trip to Lyme Regis though