Calvert Cliffs Vert-Terrestrial Mammal?

Petalodus12

Hi all,

Something different for today. I discovered this vertebra in the surf at Matoaka Cabins roughly 2 years ago. For those of you that don’t know, the rocks here are Miocene in age and preserve a nearshore marine environment. Cetacean remains are common, but other mammals (esp terrestrial) are not.  Originally I thought it was a turtle vert, but now I’ve realized that it’s mammalian and possibly terrestrial in origin.  It passed the burn test, by the way.

My thought is that it is from a small mammal’s tail, as it closely resembles other mammalian caudal vertebrae. I’ve included a diagram of the vertebrae of Phenacodus, which show marked similarity. It’s not from Phenacodus, though as the deposits are far too young. 
 Does anyone have any ideas on a better or more specific id? I’m not well versed in Cenozoic mammals. Thanks in advance.

9340EE11-94D5-4C0A-8911-739159F58785.jpeg

1B1179ED-7E75-4FA2-8A07-9FEFCA3DA444.jpeg

206E1AE5-D28F-44DD-A972-157F8D4C73AD.jpeg

39054938-49A4-4C90-8C45-6004385BB44D.jpeg

mammal tail bones are kinda one size fits all. Could be anything, but I think you are right... terrestrial mammal.  Nice find.  

• I found this Informative 2

36 minutes ago, jpc said:

mammal tail bones are kinda one size fits all. Could be anything, but I think you are right... terrestrial mammal.  Nice find.  

Thank you for the confirmation! I figured as much but I just wanted to be sure!

Looks very similar to the oreodont caudal vertebrae I found over the summer in the White River gp. in Wyoming. I would go with caudal vertebra for sure, with similarities to artiodactyls (not sure how it compares to other mammal groups though).

• I found this Informative 1

I would contact Dr. Stephen Godfrey of the Calvert Museum to see if he could help you.  Terrestrial finds are not uncommon in the cliffs 

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

I would contact Dr. Stephen Godfrey of the Calvert Museum to see if he could help you.  Terrestrial finds are not uncommon in the cliffs 

Will do. Thank you for the suggestion!

Yes, this looks like an oreodont tailbone, but like I said earlier, mammal tail bones are almost all incredibly similar.  Phenacodus (a Paleocene mammal), Oreodont, modern dog... all bones from long mammal tails that are not prehensile are very very similar.   

39 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yes, this looks like an oreodont tailbone, but like I said earlier, mammal tail bones are almost all incredibly similar.  Phenacodus (a Paleocene mammal), Oreodont, modern dog... all bones from long mammal tails that are not prehensile are very very similar.   

I noticed that when I was doing some google searches to try to narrow this down. They all definitely looked quite similar.