What do I have here

Bryan Whitmore

This egg was handed down to me by a relative who recently passed all I was told of this specimen was that it was found in riverside California 

20210111_141524.jpg

Agree with concretion. 

This topic helps when learning what is and isn’t an egg.

• I found this Informative 2

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Chert nodule, for me.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree not a egg it’s geologic. But it is an amazing looking stone! I’d definitely keep it in my collection!

• I found this Informative 1

This is one of the best pseudo-eggs we have seen here.  Heck, it is even hard-boiled, with that air bubble on one end.    Its a keeper, but not an egg.

35 minutes ago, jpc said:

This is one of the best pseudo-eggs we have seen here.  Heck, it is even hard-boiled, with that air bubble on one end.    Its a keeper, but not an egg.

Thank you all ...it's definitely cool and my son loves it I think it has spurred an interest in geology and fossils in him 

We see more than our share of "fossilized eggs" that are only concretions but I have to agree with the others that this one is possibly the best "faker" that I've seen. Not a fossil but a splendid example of how nature contrives to fool us and keep us on our toes. I'd proudly display this pseudo-fossil among my real fossils. ;)

We love to hear that the next generation have taken an interest in something other than their devices. Do what you can to encourage an interest in the natural world (present or past). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 3

7 hours ago, jpc said:

Heck, it is even hard-boiled, with that air bubble on one end.

Indeed, a very special specimen. Nature can play many nice tricks. Thanks for sharing! (But not really a fossilized egg, of course).

Can not resist to link to that one again, I have already found a "fossilized fried egg" some time ago...

Spiegelei_klein_kompr.jpg

Franz Bernhard